myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Religion of peace and guns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ISIS is to Islam as the KKK is to Christianity. Both groups proclaim a religious identity, while using terrorism and brutality to achieve their political goals. Both are denounced by overwhelming majorities of practicing members of the religions they claim to represent. So, just as I think it is inaccurate and misleading to refer to the KKK as "Radical Christianity", I believe it is inaccurate and misleading to refer to ISIS as "Radical Islam".
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I think ISIS is to Islam as the KKK is to Christianity. Both groups proclaim a religious identity, while using terrorism and brutality to achieve their political goals. Both are denounced by overwhelming majorities of practicing members of the religions they claim to represent.

I was right with you that far (except for that "overwhelming majorities" part) but then semantics reared its confusing head when you wrote:
So, just as I think it is inaccurate and misleading to refer to the KKK as "Radical Christianity", I believe it is inaccurate and misleading to refer to ISIS as "Radical Islam".

It's just a descriptive term objected to primarily by people who value political correctness over national security or human life. Most definitions of radical Islam I've heard go something like "murderous animals looking for any excuse to take advantage of or distort cherry picked Qoran clauses and chapters enough to justify their pathological urge to slaughter people with whom they disagree." The everyday parallel is the group in this forum who do the same thing as best they can with words like, "racist", "denier", "hater", etc. Unfortunately, PLONKing radical Islamic terrorists and terrorism will require the spine to call them radical Islamic terrorists and kill them in much larger numbers.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with you poinster. We can easily name most of the terrorist groups in the Middle East, North Africa, and Southern Asia by their chosen names, like ISIS, al Qaeda, Hezbollah, Taliban, etc. Often we know more about them and where they operate if we keep to actual names rather than using tags like Radical Islam or Islamic terrorists.

I find it quite disconcerting that President Obama has been repeatedly called out and negatively criticized by the right for not wanting to use the term Radical Islam to identify ISIS or other terrorist groups. Somehow Obama can't be portrayed as serious leader in focusing on fighting groups like ISIS unless they aren't boldly painted as Radical Islam.

How easily the right tries to characterize all Muslims following Islam as potential Radical Islamists, kind of like what's being done with the 10,000 Syrian Muslim refugees. Because the FBI can't unquestionably guarantee and certify that each one of these refugees won't ultimately become a terrorist, that's reasonable grounds for rejecting all of them. Trump personifies this in his fearful call to deny all Muslims entry into the US.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointster wrote:
I think ISIS is to Islam as the KKK is to Christianity. Both groups proclaim a religious identity, while using terrorism and brutality to achieve their political goals. Both are denounced by overwhelming majorities of practicing members of the religions they claim to represent. So, just as I think it is inaccurate and misleading to refer to the KKK as "Radical Christianity", I believe it is inaccurate and misleading to refer to ISIS as "Radical Islam".

Other than a handful of inbreds, just what has the KKK done during the last 30 years? Certainly there is one crazy church that protested my Malibu church a few years ago. I think it was 5 protesters who showed up with you are going to burn in hell signs. 25% of Christians don't preach hate like Muslims do. 1% is very different than 25%.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
How easily the right tries to characterize all Muslims following Islam as potential Radical Islamists, kind of like what's being done with the 10,000 Syrian Muslim refugees.

Talking about going overboard with a generalization.........

The refugee issue is simple from the right's point of view. There is the chance that some of the refugees may be radicalized and pose a threat to US citizens. Don't let them in until "properly" vetted. That's all that has been said. Can they be properly vetted? Who really knows?

The left seems fine with taking the small risk that some radicalized refugees might slip by, while trying to stand up for "what America is all about".

Last edited by techno900 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
There is the chance that some of the refugees may be radicalized and pose a threat to US citizens.

"Chance"? It has been proved (and ISIS boasts) that ISIS is both inserting radicalized terrorists into the refugee lines (often with perfect passports printed on radical Islam's passport printers) and recruiting/converting terrorists from the lines. Many highly qualified analysts suspect this refugee crisis was designed and created by ISIS very deliberately as part of their plan to infiltrate Europe and the U.S.

techno900 wrote:
they be properly vetted? Who really knows?

The FBI, for starters. Director Comey openly states that they/we have no way to vet that many people. Homeland Security also got caught in a secret program prohibiting social media scrutiny because it might offend someone and make DHS look bad. (I presume everyone here knows the impact of that on the San Bernardino shooting.)

techno900 wrote:
The left seems fine with taking the small risk that some radicalized refugees might slip by, while trying to stand up for "what America is all about".

"Small risk"? Once again, proved by hard evidence to be part of their plan. The left doesn't comprehend that "what we are about" is sometimes secondary to survival, that the president's Job One is not "protect political correctness" or "Offend no one" but "protect national security". Examples include the Cold War slogan "Better dead than Red", Hiroshima, Nagasaki, waterboarding, and the firebombing of Tokyo. Lefties who want to lay down and die rather than do whatever it takes to protect their country, their neighbors, and their families are part of the problem, not part of the solution. If our very nation does not survive, its great principles die forever. What sense does that make? The EU is imploding even without military assault from radical Islam, and North America is wide open to annihilation by EMP or power grid software, BOTH CAPABILITIES OF WHICH are suspected by experts to be in place right now.
mountainbear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.israelvideonetwork.com/the-untold-story-of-violent-muslim-opinions-graphic-warning/
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Even the two professed atheists here on the forum are finding their inner Christian side to voice their unhappiness with my comments. Who would have guessed that I would have rocked their boat.

You don't have to be a visible minority to recognize racism either. Your statements do confirm my friend's belief that everyone has their prejudices.

swchandler wrote:
How easily the right tries to characterize all Muslims following Islam as potential Radical Islamists, kind of like what's being done with the 10,000 Syrian Muslim refugees.

More like- kind of like how you and yours would like to characterize Christians?
mountainbear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/ChristianFirst.AmericanSecond/videos/1161647900530516/?theater
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 'awkward' letter in one of our National Daily Papers today.

Quote; - ' Double Standards.'

' Sixteen Muslim countries have blanket bans on Jews being allowed into their lands. And this isn't for any security reason, no matter how implausible or ridiculous Trumps proposition was, but simply a matter of racial bigotry.

There is rightful outrage here in the U.K. when Trump behaves in this way in America against Muslims. But where is the public indignation or the petitions, the political intervention, the calls for sanctions - when it's Jews who are banned?'

Yes, I wonder about double standards also. I would like to hear why 'moderate' Muslims' do not speak out! Their silence is really not acceptable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 39 of 45

Jump to: