myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Freewave 96TE Fins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Fanatic Freewave 96TE Fins Reply with quote

I just bought myself a new Fanatic Freewave 96TE. I was lucky and were able to test it out right away on a rare warm and windy day during Chicago winter. I used it with 4.7 on a small flatwater lake. I really like it a lot. It was first time I ever used a thruster board. It behaves so well, I haven't really noticed many differences between sailing this board and a single fin board.

Some reviews mentioned that different set of fins might make a great board even better. It comes with MFC fins (19cm/12cm). MFC recommends additional set for winds over 25 knots (18cm/11) or single 25cm fin.

Black project fins recommends 17.5cm/11.5cm or 28 single fin.

I really like it with the stock fins but I can't stop wondering what the difference would be with another set of fins. Has anybody tried it? What was your experience?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K4 , are a composite plastic, they offer several styles, AT very affordable prices.

See below and order from 4Boards

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of sailing do you do? I have tried their 86 version. Did it come with blanks? Do you have any single fins that you can use? Can you change positions? What would you like to improve?
wdsurf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Tri fins Reply with quote

Super you bought a tri fin.i have quatro sphere boards 115 and 85 love the MFC tri fins use the fins that came with boards.115,4.5 to 6.0 20 center 10 sides,85,3.5 to 5.0 18 center 10 sides.move the center fin forward in overpowered 3.5 sometimes.i K.I.S.S. Love these boards sail on Great Lakes also.lake Erie.just came in from 5.0 session on the 115 65 degrees!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the beauty of 3 fins is the fins cover a broader range of sails.
Part of the problem with fins that come with the board is they can almost always be improved on.

The great part is how many different feels you can achieve using different SIZE fins. The 2+1 setup that came with, rx 19 center n 11 side forward fins will as you reflect feel rather like a single, hopefully it turns better and sticks to the water.
To make it looser, so TWIN like, use 3 fins that are closer in size, with this it will turn tighter. Rx all fins 13.5

Black Project Fins, Maui Ultra Fins are premium fins.
K4 are still the only company to offer Ezzy signature fins that offer toe in ,hailed by some others say they create too much drag for the advantageous.

You could just purchase a smaller center fin to compensate for hi wind .

The size that others use unless it the same board , sailor is the same weight and sails along you , USE as a guide, they are not written in stone

shamran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
What type of sailing do you do? I have tried their 86 version. Did it come with blanks? Do you have any single fins that you can use? Can you change positions? What would you like to improve?

I sail on small lakes (flatwater) and Lake Michigan (bump and jump and waves). The board came with blanks so I do plan to try it with one of my other fins - 22, 25, 27 and 28. The center fin is a powerbox so no adjusting there except the size. I chose the Freewave over Tabou Pocket Wave because of this fact. I already own a bunch of powerbox fins and Tabou has US box center fin. Not to mention that I own 2 more Fanatic boards. Gotta be faithful:)

The board behaves so well that I don't know if there is anything that needs to be changed. I might just stick with the stock fins for the time being. Some people claim even better performance with non stock fins and I was just wondering if any of you guys can validate the claims.

Thank you for all the info you have shared.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll throw my 2cents into the ring....

i have 2013 96TE fanatic...i sail it with 20 center and 11 sides.

one thing i noticed is that the maui fins felt very draggy. I went with makini which has a thinner porfile or thickness. Sailing with the makini fins feels like i am sailing single fin....where as the Maui fins, i can tell i am dragging three fins. Big improvement when tri-fin mode.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The after market FINs, are to me like
Tires
You use the ones that came on the vechile when you purchased it, most people on replacement will opt for a different tire, read better, as in more mileage and handing character, most do not all, some people as long as it's black and fits on the wheel.

The above post is a reflection that is similar to mine.
I have Makani fins, some are great, in particular the weed fins.they have some that are truly innovative .

My general rule is if the setup feels good on the water, then stay with it.

some fins are going to provide better upwind , some turn better, it's always a compromise till you find the sweet spot. Which is size and brand....

wdsurf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Fins like tires Reply with quote

Exclamation that bullshit what people think about tires that come on vehicles new is crap.my first set on my 2002 gmc 3500 went 70,000 miles,the second set of the same tire went 77,000 now I,m on my third set at 168,000.same with fins buy what you want to try.some times you like em some times you don,t.what I like might not be for you.i,ve Bought other fins on recommendations of them and they SUCKED Exclamation some of these companies try to compete with the big boys friggin fins won,t even fit in the respective fin boxes Question MFC and BRIDGESTONE gotta be loyal don,t you Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: