myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are still ignoring the apparent fact that the student slugged the officer.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/leon-lott-south-carolina-student-third/2015/10/27/id/699319/
and
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nation-and-world/sc-sheriff-says-student-punched-officer-violent-arrest .
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
You guys are still ignoring the apparent fact that the student slugged the officer.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/leon-lott-south-carolina-student-third/2015/10/27/id/699319/
and
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nation-and-world/sc-sheriff-says-student-punched-officer-violent-arrest .

maybe you should read your links.. here is what the sheriff said

again Iso is so stupid he thinks that a female sitting in a desk is capable of punching with so much force to harm someone so you should just beat the tar out of them male double the weight. that in Isos mind is a fair and balanced fight.

Maybe that will be the next sport a official desk boxing competition. Do you have the intellect to think before you post.

Quote:
Just because she was wrong in what she was doing doesn't make what he was doing completely right also," the sheriff said.

techno900

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Techno--you seem desperate to defend the use of force by authority figures. Your latest argument, about classroom disruption, is particularly specious. The idea that there was a way to exert authority over this girl without disrupting the classroom is nonsense
Since you refuse to give us your answer to how you would have handled the situation, I have to assume that you would have done nothing, at least not until the class was over. And doing nothing and letting her get her way to avoid disrupting the class could be against school policy.

As usual, you read too much into my posts and create your own story to suit your agenda. I am not defending nor have I defended what the officer did. This idea is only in your mind.

Plus, you theorize a lot regarding the poor girls upbringing, apparently justifying her actions, which has NOTHING to do with my posts or the issue at hand.

And yes, she did take a couple of feeble punches at the officer, but I doubt he even noticed.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech no brain.. i answered the question and it amazes me that such a simple solution evades your low level thinking... not...

anyway here ya go, racism is so bad in MO as we know... Idiot right wing racists just want to show their hate... yep this is a great protest to have the university president fired for not taking a hard line on racial hate. These students are so correct here. I am proud of them.

and think he thinks he should not be fired what a racist enabling low level thinker...gee.. a right winger...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/missouri-football-players-threaten-to-boycott-season-amid-racial-tension/2015/11/08/5c11c456-8641-11e5-9a07-453018f9a0ec_story.html?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_headlines
Quote:
Tensions have been mounting campus since the start of the fall semester. On Sept. 12, Payton Head, the school’s student body president and an African American student from Chicago, wrote in a Facebook post about being called racial slurs “multiple times” during his time at Missouri. On Oct. 5, while members of the Legion of Black Collegians rehearsed a homecoming skit, a white student walked onto the stage and shouted racial epithets. And on Oct. 24, a student scrawled a swastika in human feces on the floor and wall of a dormitory.

real-human

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess she sees racism a bit more in her area... great for calling them out vs enabling them. But as noted she has concerns for her safety by speaking out. Just as I do from stalkers and racists here on this board.

Quote:
I am a southern pastor and an educated professor who lives in rural Arkansas amidst folks who own guns and vote Republican. I hold college degrees, I preach in two churches, and I teach history in a respected four year college. I am not stupid. But I am not allowed to put political signs in my yard or stickers on my car because it will offend my students and my congregants if they know how I truly believe, even though my gun toting friends can post all the memes promoting ignorance and violence they want, without fear. So instead, I will write an article and tell the whole damn world the truth:

Quote:
The confederate flag is racist. It was flown by treasonous terrorists who fired on their own country and supported the enslavement of human beings. They lost that war and it is time to move on. If you want to show your southern pride, fly an American flag and be the true patriot you claim to be. Eat some biscuits and gravy and visit your dear old grandma. Go put flowers on the grave of your grandpa who probably fought for your right to grow up privileged. And show some appreciation for the great country you live in.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/10/1448186/-Pissed-Off-Southern-Pastor-treats-the-right-wing-to-an-epic-rant?detail=email

lets see how long before the right wing terrorists act on their hate. Well in some respects her replies she received I bet are threatening her.

real-human

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/04/1349310/-Conservative-demonization-of-Obama-allowed-racists-to-crawl-out-from-under-their-rocks?detail=emailclassic

Conservative demonization of Obama allowed racists to crawl out from under their rocks

Quote:
Even before Barack Obama took the stage in celebration in Chicago's Grant Park on election night in 2008, the ugly racists in conservative leadership had already spent months stirring racial resentment and fear based on Obama's "otherness." References to the Reverend Wright sermon, the claimed Michelle Obama "whitey tape," the birth certificate, the coded racism of Sarah Palin, and the non-stop, breathless, racist fear-pandering by anyone and everyone associated with Fox News set the stage for what was to come: nearly seven years of unending racist attacks, both overt and subtle.

The United States has never been "post-racial" as some would claim while citing the election of a black president, and certainly most African-Americans would scoff at the notion of a "post-racial" America. That said, prior to the emergence of Obama, outward expressions of virulent racism had been increasingly muted and forced underground by decades of hard work. The most vicious racists had crawled under rocks, spewing their loathings in private or secret among others who shared their views.

What has happened in the intervening years of the Obama presidency has been nothing less than a great unleashing -- the legitimization of racism and racist expression. The stewards at Fox News will always deny racism, as will others in conservative leadership including a number of conservative members of Congress, but their steady demonization of the president has allowed racists to emerge from their dank holes and voice their hatred openly and without shame.

The rise of the Tea Party during the health care debate, no matter how contrived or staged, was simply the organizing by right wing power brokers of those holding racial resentments. The Tea Party provided racists with a sheepskin, euphemistically labeled "dissent," as a way to publicly espouse their virulent racial hatred. Of course, the Republican Party has long stirred the racial resentment pot as part of their electoral strategy, but never before could they stoke and organize a movement with a primary objective of coalescing the fearful, the bigoted and the blatantly racist. Conservatives exploited the election of Barack Obama to organize their hardcore base.

Reading the message boards of many major media outlets in any part of the country during the Michael Brown/Ferguson coverage shows just how far we have receded as a society. Open expressions of virulent racism are prevalent, with many such comments not even subject to removal by moderators. Virulent racists feel free to express their hatred openly without fear of sanction.

Reports of Republican Party officials making openly racist or subtly racist comments are now so common that we are nonplussed when we read the latest crazed utterances. Over the course of Obama's tenure, the "freedom" to express such thoughts has expanded greatly, and attempts to call out these comments are often met with 1) a denial of racism, and 2) shouts of "Freedom of speech!" and "First Amendment!"

Racism never went away, but thanks to the hard work of dedicated people, including many who gave their lives for the cause, racists and racism were forced into the shadows, limiting racists' ability to openly proselytize their perverse beliefs. Our world was a better place. We have gone backwards as a nation.

Conservatives have fostered this retreat to gain power. It's a cynical strategy laced with abhorrent consequences for us all. It may take a long time to put that genie back in the bottle

pueno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:

I can't imagine a further far-right wacko publication than newsmax.

Well, maybe a few... but they're all totally crazy. No surprise that Mikey loves 'em.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psssst, mac quotes them all the time, don't tell anyone.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one NW: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/slavery-trail-of-tears-180956968/?no-ist

Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By Edmund L. AndrewsNovember 19, 2015

Until last month, Isabel Concha-Foley assumed she was just a normal American college graduate, fresh out of San Francisco State.

Then she applied for a passport. In a terse letter, the State Department told her that it didn’t believe her U.S. birth certificate was real. Worse yet, a local passport agent told her, federal officials had flagged her as a “possible fraud.”

Why? Because she had been born at home and her birth certificate had been witnessed by a midwife.

Never mind that Concha-Foley’s mother, a library director, is an American-born citizen of Irish ancestry. Or that her father is a naturalized American citizen. Or that her older brother has a valid passport. Or that Concha-Foley was born and raised near Lake Tahoe and that the Tahoe Daily Tribune celebrated her feats as a high school basketball star.

It sounds insane, but it’s true. The passport-midwife saga has been going on for years, and it’s really just one piece of a broader problem.

In our panic to keep out “illegal aliens” and terrorists — and to some GOP presidential candidates, those are often the same — we are trammeling the rights of our own citizens.

It’s no secret that legal immigrants in the United States endure all kinds of Kafkaesque ordeals: employers who violate fair labor laws, Border Patrol agents who arbitrarily harass and interrogate them on U.S. highways, local police who put people in jail for 48 hours on the mere suspicion that they may be undocumented.

What isn’t widely understood is that this also affects full-fledged Americans. People who were born and raised here, whose parents are often American, are being treated as second-class citizens who have to prove they deserve to live in their own country.

Concha-Foley’s passport ordeal is chilling not because it’s unique but because she is so demonstrably an American. She has a birth certificate. Her parents are American. She graduated from high school and college here. She has never even been outside the United States.

Yet the Passport Services Directorate is demanding a slew of evidence that would come as a shock to most Americans with Anglo surnames.

Does she have a green card or a border-crossing document? (No, and why ask? If she was born in the U.S., she wouldn’t have crossed a border to get here.) How about medical records from 1992, the year she was born? How about her parents’ tax returns or rental records from 24 years ago?

This kind of documentation can be hard to come by. Concha-Foley’s pediatrician moved away years ago. Her elementary school is still around, but it can’t provide her old records. Her mother, following standard practice, throws out tax returns after seven years. And honestly, only a seriously troubled hoarder keeps rental receipts for a quarter century.

You are no doubt wondering: What is so suspicious about midwives?

Midwives have been with us throughout history, and they attend about 8 percent of American births. Many parents prefer home births, especially those who can’t afford hospital deliveries or who live in remote areas. Many affluent, urban parents prefer home births as well.

Back in the early 1990s, however, allegations surfaced that midwives in Texas and other border states were selling birth certificates. It’s not clear how much this actually happened, but the State Department reacted with outrageous demands of passport applicants who had the double misfortune of a Hispanic surname and of being born at home.

The American Civil Liberties Union sued in 2008, accusing the State Department of “blanket race-based suspicion.” One plaintiff in that case, a decorated Army veteran named David Hernandez, had been rejected for a passport even after he supplied his baptism certificate, school records, immunization records and proof that his mother had lived in the U.S. when he was born in 1964.

The State Department settled that lawsuit and promised to make its procedures more reasonable, but horror stories continue. In Oregon, an American-born businessman named Angel Alcántar fought the State Department for more than 30 years before finally getting his passport in 2013. Alcántar had more than just a mass of documentation. His parents had gone to court on his behalf back in the 1980s, and a local judge, after hearing the evidence, had ruled against the State Department and issued a “delayed” birth certificate. Even after that, however, the government refused for years to give Alcántar a passport.

The broader problem is an array of anti-immigrant policies and practices that undermine constitutional rights.

Right now, the Texas Department of State Health Services is refusing to give birth certificates to many babies of undocumented workers, even though the children were born in hospitals. A U.S. district judge recently ruled that the practice “raises grave concerns,” but he refused to issue an injunction while the case makes its way through the courts.

“All of these policies are subjecting people of certain ethnicities to higher standards for proving their citizenship, creating sub-classes of second-class citizens,” says Jennifer Chang Newell, a senior attorney at the ACLU on immigration issues. “The right of citizenship shouldn’t depend on your ethnicity, the color of your skin, your last name or whether your birth certificate was signed by a midwife.”

If someone as obviously American as Isabel can become snared in institutionalized bigotry, imagine the vulnerability of the millions of American citizens who speak with an accent or don’t have American-born parents.

Is this an America we want to be proud of?

Edmund L. Andrews, a former correspondent for the New York Times, is an editor and writer in Zephyr Cove, Nev.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 235 of 457

Jump to: