myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
84L Board... Got stuck out in the water
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee D,

What was the Magic Ride idea?

W1
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost1 wrote:
How possible is it to tack this board?

It is probably harder than a jibe but unless you are a total hack or 300 lb behemoth, it should be very possible. However, depending on where you sail it may not be necessary.

The small board tack is covered in this thread and others.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30592

Coachg
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: The only way your going to tack a sinker Reply with quote

The only way your going to tack a sinker
is to do it while your still on a plane.
At least for most mortals
And that means you have to do it long before the
wind starts to drop.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To understand the value of tacking in the big picture, you only need to watch the wave sailors at the recent Aloha Classic. I wish that I could do what they were doing with such finesse. While I also saw some great snap jibes that were quite impressive, it was the quick tacks that really caught my eye.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best way to tack a sinker? sail it in a gale. the rest is up to you.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ghost1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
To understand the value of tacking in the big picture, you only need to watch the wave sailors at the recent Aloha Classic. I wish that I could do what they were doing with such finesse. While I also saw some great snap jibes that were quite impressive, it was the quick tacks that really caught my eye.

This is what I'm talking about and what inspired me to learn it. It's just a cool move.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I"ve had my JPFSW84 for 5 years ... I never get downwind when I ride it, so never need to get upwind quickly..

ghost1 wrote:
Slam gybe?

I take my wave board sinkers miles up and down the Columbia, miles offshore in the Pacific, and miles up- and down-wind in remote lakes. Getting them upwind is vital to me, yet I STILL never felt the need to tack them. With enough power (half meter to a meter bigger than the lawn mowers) and enough fin (and inch or two bigger than typically comes stock), I get upwind just fine. I can make up 1/3 of a mile of ground in just one round trip -- two reaches -- across the Columbia if I don't take too many off-the-lips on the way up the stairs, and that's with a wavy fin designed primarily for maneuvering. I thus consider tacking a neat trick, not a necessity.

And while a slam jibe may help, it's not necessary. A fast, TIGHT, full planing, very quickly carved jibe works just fine, as it loses VERY little ground, especially if ya don't bear off first.
uchida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick tacks on a small sinker board is an awesome maneuver. Duck tacks are even cooler. I've never been able to do a duck but saw Polokow ripping them off like they were nothing. Very impressive. I took me a long time to do a quick tack but now I do them just because they're so much fun to do. However, I agree with Iso they're a great trick but not a necessity in sailing. Heli tacks are also tons of fun and a lot easier to learn than a quick tack. Any thing you can do to increase your fun factor is worth learning weather its a needed skill for surf sailing or just for showing off. It all boils down to TOW!
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Ride idea, like FreeMove-Atom, is the concept of a FSW bottom shape, thinner profile, and a slight increase in width. Bigger sizes get flatter rocker.
What that does is give more direct rider response, planing in lower winds, more curvy outline for easier jibes, and increased width for early planing.
I have a =- 78 liter RoqueWave of 60 cms.
JPFSW84 of 84 liters.
Similar concept to our MRide118.
Slalom boards in the 90-109 liter range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: