myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lopez Lake Water Level Report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bprice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Lopez Lake Water Level Report Reply with quote

Here's an update on the water level. Its down below 40% now, same as 1992. The difference back then is it had decent inflow to hold it at that level into the summer. This year with only 6 inches of rain, the inflow is only about 1/5 (or less) of 1992. Without rain it'll be down several more percent by summer. I sailed it yesterday and today and while it was fun, the shallow water with obstacles make it a bit nerve racking. Here's a pic from Sunday.

IMG_0412.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.46 KB
 Viewed:  24425 Time(s)

IMG_0412.JPG

superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know per chance how far it is to that dreaded X? I am wondering if it is worse than the 950ft fetch we have here at Isabella at the moment.
btw, we have some snow in our watershed, though only about 20% of normal, so expect the lake to rise about 6ft by mid-June, before heading for the abyss
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that the shot was taken from the end parking lot where the narrow access road around the hillside meet. What's it like to the left of the photo image. Probably narrow across, but does it have any obstacles? Also, does the two "Xs" in the foreground where you note to turn have any obstacles?
bprice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is less than 950ft. I tried using a sat map to gauge the distance but the overhead Google shot was taken some years ago when the lake was full, so its difficult to tell for sure.

My picture was taken by the picnic table with the water spigot, just above the sailing area sign where the locals rig. And yes, its a long ass walk to the water and back up the hill. For now, vehicle sand access is not allowed due to so many people getting stuck last year.

And yes, to the left of the photo the sailing area is deeper, but also much more narrow with turbulent wind due to the steep hillsides.
For now, the area between the X's seems ok. On the far side you want to pinch upwind hard as soon as you turn or risk hitting a nasty rock/sandbar. On the launch side, it's not as bad but this area is all pretty flat, so as the water level goes down, we lose sailing area fast.

Here's a Pano pic that might show more... or less
Sad

IMG_0415.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.97 KB
 Viewed:  24387 Time(s)

IMG_0415.JPG

stevegoebel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad S D Steve
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.....that's really depressing. I thought it was bad last summer when our lakes were down only 5'. We're pretty much back to normal now, and spring rains haven't even started.
We in the fly-over states wish all you sailors in tax-a-fornia fair weather and plentiful rains!

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bprice, especially for the latest photo. For me, it tells a more complete story about what's going on. Frankly, I've never seen the water so low at Lopez. Maybe March will provide some unexpected rainfall. Let's hope for the best.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Uh..the world flies over you for a reason dude. Off topic :( Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Wow.....that's really depressing. I thought it was bad last summer when our lakes were down only 5'. We're pretty much back to normal now, and spring rains haven't even started.
We in the fly-over states wish all you sailors in tax-a-fornia fair weather and plentiful rains!
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember many days around 1992 that looked just like this at Lopez. So many jibes it would make the head spin.

Hopefully, CA gets a real Winter for 2015-2016. 4 years of drought is a long time.

My 3.5 year old son has almost never seen rain. The rain coat we have for him fits a 6-month old, and I don't think he's ever used it, and certainly he never will.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed with Mike on Monday. Its very scary and very short. When the wind is WSW you can get a short ride. When is goes SW, as it often does in the afternoon, its over. That direction sends you right into the shallow water...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: