myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New freemove boards?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many JP FSW owners and one huge JP dealer have told me they emphasize speed over comfort ... a nice way of saying they ride rougher than some of their competition. One 220# owner really ragged on his 100-liter-ish FSW's rough ride in chop, and that dealer has implored JP to tone it down for the masses.

My 2005 90L RRD FSW feels like silk in both the reaches and the turns compared to my 2006 78L JP FSW, as did the Fanatic FW I rode a few years ago.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, JP's favor speed, response, and early planing.
RRD's tend to favor comfort, ease, sluggish feel, great overpowered.
My 84 liter JP planes up much sooner than any 95 liter RRD of any age, and comparing size for size, there is NO contest.
Speed, easy huge edge to the JP. BUT, the mid 2000's Fanatics were really fast and early planing.
Response, huge edge to JP. Do you want a dull board for the masses or do you want a high tuned board for the chosen EXPERT level sailors?
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP FSW 101 that I used at Vela had was a 2012 or 2013 vintage, and I thought it quite smooth for such a big board.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RRD is a very lively and loose but predictable slasher and jumper (I was on it when I tore up my knee landing from altitude). It feels like many 80L wave boards when ripping, like 90L when slogging. It's more sheer FUN than my 78L JP FSW.
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some diehard fans of the extra wide RRD FSW V2 around my area. The 116 or the 108 could be the closest thing to a freemove and a good alternative for gvogelsang if he can find one used.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

???????????
I thought V-2's were full on slalom boards, yes wide, and no fun whatsoever if underpowered or just planing along. Wide, panel V with the slightest concaves, they pound, they have straps outboard, and they need to be on the verge of OP with full slalom cammed sails to enjoy a fast only ride.
kmf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RRD FSW 88 V3, 2014, which I love in the gorge. works from 4.2 to 6.0. Not the fastest, but fun.

KMF
justall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
justall wrote:
isobars wrote:
... as long as it's not offshore.

What adjustments would you make to these if offshore?

Presuming that not being able to return to my launch poses unacceptable threat to my life or well-being* and that we're talking nearly dead offshore, not just side-off, I'd add much more volume, bigger/straighter fin plus a daggerboard, straighter lines in the hull (i.e., a board designed for pinching), an oversized sail, GPS, spare harness line and u-joint, marine radio, signalling devices, filing a trip plan with friends, fluids, making sure there are MANY recreational boats out where I'll be, and a looooong tether to shore.

I agree with the volume, fin, notice to friends and rec boat elements. Of course, without the other elements, my posting totals might never reach beyond triple digits. Seems a lot of my locations have true offshore. The 3 mile across isn't a big deal ... I might survive the 20 mile ... though the multi hundred mile one was psyching me out at times.
justall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
... I decided to see what all of the hype was about and pulled out the JP magic ride 104, the foot straps in the centered positions.
Well I have to say that after a couple of hours on it, I was not stoked Boring, boring, boring. Yes it planed easily, yes it was comfortable, yes it made large radius turns without much fuss....but jeeezzzz. The JP FSW could sail circles around it and put a smile on your face.
But to each their own. After all some people think that driving a 3/4 ton Dodge Big Horny truck is fun......I'd rather have the Golf GTI, thank you.

I didn't care for the JP magic 104 either. Felt 'heavy' to me, even though the specs say it isn't.

Your automobile relationship is interesting. I wonder how auto preferences break across the sub-100 liter and >100 liter crowd. I'm a >100 person ... and my favorite car was a larger Chevy Impala, go figure. So, now 2 data points prove your theory.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the recent magazine tests has piqued my interest in the Tabou Rocket Wide.

Has anyone sailed this board? I might be interested in the 108.

By the way, I am riding a bike 3 to 4 days a week in an attempt to lose some weight and fit on a 110 size freemove board. I guess the other contender would be the Firemove 112, a move down from my 122.

And, yes, a Tiger in size 5.5 would be a smart move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: