myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jupiter Fla. sailing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richhotdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Jupiter Fla. sailing Reply with quote

I will be in Jupiter the second week of Feb..I would like to sail but don't know if there is any place to rent quality stuff. If anyone knows about the area and where to rent please let me know.
Thanks,
Rich
floridawavesailr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, there is no official rentals in or near Jupiter that I am aware of. Jon in Jensen(has multiple equipment ads in iwindsurf classifieds) likely rents equipment just north of here. awesome sailing locally, it can be hit or miss, but more days than not have brought opportunity.. February can go either way, with there being quiet years but also sustained just windy or wavy conditions, there is no way to know for sure.. sometimes swell with lighter winds crossing/opposing for sweet down the line(our version of baby maui), or just windy and often waves.. often what I call babypool which is more fun than frightening(appreciated mostly) waves.. Thursday we had mast high outside sets and 5.0 force and angulo change 82 was perfect for me(140lbs), earlier in the day winds were sideshore planing and swell was shoulder to overhead before getting even bigger.
very warm here, water usually in 70's thru the winter, air temps often in the 80's, with recent days no wetsuits needed(or wanted). we work and use a variety of spots and breaks, depending on details of the conditions.. some like Jupiter inlet set up world class point break type conditions, check out the Jupiter cam.. also check the iwindsurf Jupiter(juno pier), yesterday saturday it recorded 20-25 sideshore nnw/north winds from 10am till 4pm, swell was mostly gone(still a few), I was blasting on 5.5(not sure it was quite as windy as recorded but kiters were hanging a long time on frequent jumps). blowing 20 onshore right now sunday with waves. I post my sessions and can be reached at ecfw yahoo group, floridawavesailor. Best wishes, john in jupiter
akrausz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jon in Jensen can't help you out, these are the only places where you can rent:

http://www.sailboardsmiami.com/ (1.5 hours south)
http://calema.com/ (2 hours north)
richhotdog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get in touch with Jon who posts as Flordiawavesailor. I am coming down Feb.11 till Feb 16.Jon you seem to know the better launches. I just shipped a 102L FSW board and two wave sails 6.2 and 5.1. to hopefully use when there. I am visiting my mom who lives in the Sea Colony development. I have never been to the area and am a real tourist . She tells me she sees a lot of kites but no windsurfers. I would rather not sail by myself. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Rich
glenherman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: February Florida Waesailing Reply with quote

There are 5 of us who windsurf at the Boynton Inlet
If there is wind, we will be wavesailing there
Your selection of gear is perfect and will be good for 90% of our windy days
We sail on the south side of the inlet. There is free parking, grassy rigging areas and showers. Our exit off the I 95 is Boynton Beach Blvd. go east to the ocean and turn north, park at the inlet. Cant miss it
We are 25 minutes south of the Jupiter inlet. We have world class wavesailing here. Conditions here are the same as at Jupiter. The wind meter up there always reads 5 mph higher than here, but we all have the same wind.
The forecast is for north wind at 23 mph this Friday turning east on Saturday
Bring a 3 mm wetsuit!
There are no kiters here and we welcome anyone to come wavesailing with us.
Jupiter, Boynton, and 16th street, Pompano are all for intermediate to advanced sailors only, due to shore break, currents and often big waves.
Intermediates and beginners are suggested to go to Virginia Key in Miami as it is an excellent spot to learn wave sailing
I drive down there whenever the shore break is over 6 feet or the wind is over 30 mph
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're staying in a great location. Within a 3-minute drive of Sea Colony is:

1. Loggerhead Marinelife Center. Go inside, learn about turtles and donate a few bucks. Then go to the south most parking lot. There is plenty of parking, bathrooms, shower and a tunnel to the beach. Attached is a picture of me a month ago...it was around 20 out of the NNW.

2. Jupiter Inlet. Free parking, showers, grass rigging.

3. Jupiter Reef Club.

In February, the wind could blow from any direction...depending on the progression of the current front. A quick look at a map shows that, due to how the coastline faces the ocean, staying north of Palm Beach will afford the best opportunity on a NNW wind. On a South wind, Boynton Inlet gets the nod.

If the wind is offshore everywhere, head over to the Indian River at Stuart Causeway. You can sail there in any wind direction. Or, if you feel like taking a road trip, the west coast is nice, but the water is colder.

Martin County has a couple of websites that report the wind. Here is one of them: http://www.evsmartin.com/hsnwr/. The reported direction is at least 10 degrees greater than it should be, though. I'm not such a big fan of the Jupiter website because the anemometer sits atop a tall building and exaggerates the wind (like Glen said).

Another excellent source of current conditions is NOAA Station LKWF1: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=lkwf1

Loggerhead.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.62 KB
 Viewed:  18278 Time(s)

Loggerhead.jpg

jkrug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind as well: Juno Beach Pier meter is consistently off by 4...always sub 4 from all wind speeds as reported there...e.g., 15-20 reported = 11-16 reality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: