myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP Sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Windsup wind range Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
For me (210#), a 6.0 is great. In flat water and low wind, I can uphaul it without an uphaul line! At 180#, a proportional sail would be a 5.1.

Oh, crap. Nobody told me that as I dropped from 205 to 170. I still use the same sails per windspeed I did before.

Or maybe I should take advantage of the weight loss and rig smaller.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard offers 4.5;5.5 and 6.5 WindSUP sails. I would go 5.5 for waves , 6.5 for cruising and 4.5 women, kids etc. I'm talking strictly 0-15 mph conditions!
http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2014/products/boards/windsup-sails

image.jpg
 Description:
Pure and simple :)
 Filesize:  13.9 KB
 Viewed:  14678 Time(s)

image.jpg

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsup wind range Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Sailboarder wrote:
For me (210#), a 6.0 is great. In flat water and low wind, I can uphaul it without an uphaul line! At 180#, a proportional sail would be a 5.1.

Oh, crap. Nobody told me that as I dropped from 205 to 170. I still use the same sails per windspeed I did before.

Or maybe I should take advantage of the weight loss and rig smaller.

Poor Iso, I hope you didn't loose many years of perfectly tuned sailing Wink

To your comfort, I can tell you that if I ever get back to 180 again, I won't try to replace my current super low wind sail... I'm THAT wild!
ittiandro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:

Finally, although a WindSUP sail cannot be beaten since mast foot and boom are already connected, it is not that long to setup a normal sail if you carefully setup a routine to do it.

Do you mean that you can't buy Wind Sup sails alone, without the rig?!
In fact, this is something not clear in the manufacturers' ads. I think that Starboard sell only the rig package, according to their Internet site, but I am not too sure about the Bic Nova Sport SUP 6.0 and the Aerotech Wind SUP sail.I'll check with the dealers. In the meantime, I'd like to know if anybody can confirm this.
I think the general drift of this Forum on this issue ( Wind SUP sails) conforms to my expectations and experience. I feel reassured that at 83 kg of weight a SUP 5.8 m2 sail is the best choice for winds up to 15 knts while yielding sufficient power for those " lows" under 10 knts which are very common ln this area of the Lake-of-two Mountains, unless you go out to OKA.

Thanks for your input

Ittiandro
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aerotech sail can be bought alone since it fits with standard windsurfing hardware.

I just meant that the Aerotech sail is super quick to setup since you can roll it without dismantling the boom and mast foot. But an old dacron sail is not that much longer to setup.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if any body ( old enough!) can suggest true old longboard sails of the soft type ( i.e. partially battened) used in the 90's. They would cost a fraction of today's dedicated SUP sails and be just as good, provided I can find one. The problem is to recognize them.

THanks

Ittiandro
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, you need to look back to the early 80s for the longboard sails you are looking for. The 5.7 F2 sail that came with my 1985 F2 Strato was fully battened and it was very high aspect, because that was the design focus at that time.

That said, you might want to consider early Hot Sails Maui Superfreaks, because if I recollect right, the batten above the boom was a 3/4 length batten. Being made from dacron, they stretched a bit as they aged, so that might work in your favor. Also, the Windwing Convertible Wave sails of the late 80s and early 90s, and the Windwing Black Diamond Waves of 1995 were convertible to a 3/4 batten above the boom. I still have a couple of the latter sails, but they are small at 3.9, 4.4 and 4.9.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ ittiandro:

watch what u ask 4 Smile

is this old nuff 4 ya ??
original windsurfer and sails Smile

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-nautique/trois-rivieres/planche-a-voile-datant-de-1983/1109538827?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

joe
n.b. as u know, i use an HSM SpeedFreak 8.5 on longboard, FreeFormula and shortboard = versatile sail with BIG range - 12 knots to 20+
too bad u hurt yur wrist @ AAO that day or u would have tried it !!
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
@ ittiandro:

watch what u ask 4 Smile

is this old nuff 4 ya ??
original windsurfer and sails Smile

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-nautique/trois-rivieres/planche-a-voile-datant-de-1983/1109538827?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

joe
n.b. as u know, i use an HSM SpeedFreak 8.5 on longboard, FreeFormula and shortboard = versatile sail with BIG range - 12 knots to 20+
too bad u hurt yur wrist @ AAO that day or u would have tried it !!

Watch about what? I am asking for info and opinions. I don't understand why the " watch" warning.

Regarding the other question quote is this old nuff 4 ya ?? unquote, I don't understand why you ask, either, but, yes, this " stuff" is for me, of course! The same old story and probably the backbone of my posting: I want to find a sail which performs as well on a longboard like the Mistral Competition as did the sails it has probably seen in its heyday a longtime ago . I know there are some out there. It is probably widely known in this Forum by now that that I have grown weary of short-boards and the planing-designed dedicated sails going with them. This is my experience. The Mistral Competition is already a huge step forward. Now it is a question of finding a sail which goes with it. I have plenty of newer fully battened " planing" sails and I wouldn't want to waste my money in buying yet another one. Actually I just passed on a Kijiji offer to buy a N.P. Garda 6.2 of the 90's for $ 50, because it is a fully battened sail and N.P told me that it was designed for shortboard planing, already in those early days. If I can't find a suitable oldie, I'll end up in buying a new Aerotech SUP sail or a Bic SUP next season.

Regarding the Speed Freak, isn't this the sail that requires an excessively long boom ( 250 cm) and, as such, people find difficult to handle?

Ittiandro
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro. For longboard lighter wind usage it really doesn't matter all that much whether the older pre-twist era sails are fully battened or not.

One of my favourite longboard sails in the mid 80's was a fully battened 7.4, which was one of many at that time which was 'power geared' for longboards, but with a modicum of higher wind control which the earlier triangular non battened (or short top battened) sails lacked.

If you can manage to find one such, of around 6 metre size, it should work just fine for what you require.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: