myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook pro carbon vs. maui sails booms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MS is taller, and requires its own brand of shim for RDMs. It is also easy to get on and off the mast once you learn the correct procedure.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one. I think the shape is slightly different and the diameters are a little different. I would argue that although the clip on system of the chinook is nice, I like the out haul system better on the Maui sails boom. Everything has trade offs. I will say that Maui sails has replaced a couple of booms under warranty with no questions asked. The breaks definitely weren't due to manufacturers defects and, for me, that makes the decision simple. I'msure chinook has similar stories but from my experience MS has been awesome.
underwood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this same discussion last week with a friend. We both use MS but I have been contemplating Chinook because I like the head

Then my friend pointed out that I would need 2 boom sizes of the Chinook to cover my complete quiver (3.4 to 6.3) where as the range of the MS will cover my whole quiver with just one boom (140-200).

Guess I'm sticking g with MS for now.

Also, I needed a new loop & go tail piece (nothing broke, just wearing out). and MS sent it right away and didn't charge me anything. Can't get better customer service than that in my opinion.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original early 2007 MS 170-210 carbon boom. It's been a great boom, and I have to say that the amount of extension is a benchmark. The front end is an incredible design that is arguably the best I've ever owned. I've been using the boom strictly with RDMs, and I've been very happy with the shim. The front end and the shim are taller in size than others, so together they combine to offer a superior bearing surface that never slips. On top of that, the clamping pressure is surprisingly quite light. I've also upgraded my HPL with the MS front end, and the difference is night and day. It was worth every penny.

If I was to have a criticism, it would be the adjustable clips. They work extremely well, but I broke one set, and now the replacement set is cracked. At $40 a set, they're a bit pricey. Also, the original grip was too soft, so after a few years I had it re-gripped with the standard black Chinook grip material.

Never owned a Chinook boom, so I can't offer an opinion.
Frank4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Regarding the grips. I know the older maui sails booms had grip issues , they have since changed the grip to a more durable type, anybody have the new grip for any length of time?

Someone mentioned the chinook grip was soft and maybe easily damaged. Any input on this?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank4 wrote:
Someone mentioned the chinook grip was soft and maybe easily damaged. Any input on this?

Yes. It's crappy and belongs on a $125 boom, not on a carbon one. Its seam is RIGHT where my fingers grip the boom, and it begins splitting and lifting at that seam in its first session. It's not worth warranty claims because it has happened on both sides of all 8 or 10 Pro-1s I've owned. It's a simple enough fix, but it is irritating all day on the water and cheapens the boom. I'd guess that if I rigged on anything other than grass and didn't pad the tails of my boards the grip would get chewed up fairly fast.

But DAMN the boom works well otherwise.
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank4 wrote:

I love it! It feels like heaven after the harsh stuff on my aluminum Aerons. It squishes a bit more under the harness lines but that's OK . I dont have the issues Iso describes - maybe his are older models?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pro-1s range from roughly 1-3 years old.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank4 wrote:
Regarding the grips. I know the older maui sails booms had grip issues , they have since changed the grip to a more durable type, anybody have the new grip for any length of time?

I've had mine 3 years now. The grip is holding up fine. A few nicks here & there but nothing major enough to replace. And as swchandler mentioned, the MS boom head is second to none. I also replace my HPL boom heads with an MS head.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: