myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook pro carbon vs. maui sails booms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Chinook pro carbon vs. maui sails booms Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I am trying to decide which of these to purchase. If anyone has used either one or both I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

I am looking at the chinook 150-200 / maui sails 140-200
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd SEARCH the forum with keywords Chinook Maui Sails boom -- don't forget to check the Search For All Terms button. You'll find MANY informative posts on the subject.
Frank4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip ISO.

I would still ask for comparisons of the CURRENT models of each of these booms as the older posts are about older models.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they changed for 2015? My various Chinook Pro-1s from the past few years all look alike.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Chinook Pro 180-246 last year and like it a lot. The shape is good, the clamp and tail with 3 pulleys are good, it's light and stiff and the grip is so soft that I don't get any calluses any more Smile It's easier to be damaged though /the grip/ .
Great boom I may buy the smallest size one day too-just for the grip and the pulleys.
I don't have any experience with Maui sails products.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, and I like both. I have the MS 170 Wave, not the 140. I do have the Chinook 150 Wave.

Chinook: larger grip, integrated RDM boom shim. Mine has rear single pin clips and no loop and go tail.

MS: smaller grip, use boom shim for RDM, double pin clips, and loop and go tail.

I really do not have much negative to say about either. I like the loop and go tail. It only saves a little time, but I like it. I do have a friend that had both ( he had the MS 140 ) and he likes his Chinook better. I think he had a problem with his boom head (the rear cage) on his MS. I have never had a problem and have owned 2 since they came out. Customer service is great with both companies.

Last edited by wsurfn1426 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Chinook Pro carbons, one ~2-3 years old, one ~1 year. The older one is a bit larger, the newer one smaller than the ones you are looking at. Love them both, stopped using other booms since I got them. The newer one uses 2 pins to lock, a bit better. I needed to replace a small part on the older boom, and dealing with Chinook was just wonderful.

My wife bought a Maui Sails boom, I think 140 - 190 or so. She picked it because it has a smaller diameter. She never cared much for it, picking another boom whenever possible. The front end is more of a pain to use than the Chinook, especially with RDMs. When she needed a replacement part, getting an answer from Maui Sails took a whole bunch of emails and Facebook and forum posts, plus lots of patience. Our local dealers stock some Chinook replacement parts, but not Maui Sails; they did not get an answer any quicker, either. One of the two dealers used to carry Maui Sails, but does not anymore.

I have to say that I have become rather cautious about ordering Maui Sails stuff after reading this thread on the Maui Sails forum. This was about customers in Europe who had to wait up to 9 months to get Maui Sails gear they had paid for. It's quite possible that the problem was with the local importer/distributor. However, the responses from Maui Sails made me question how dedicated they are to customer service. Some examples:

Barry Spanier, Maui Sails sail designer wrote:
sorry you are so upset about not getting the things you ordered. i understand that in some neighboring countries people are very concerned that they cannot get food or medicine required for life. apparently there is no choice for patience there. i will do everything i am able to give you an answer.

Quote:
instead you wail and wail to get what you can't have and want. c'mon guys, it's a big world and there are always problems

Quote:
we may be MAUISAILS, the people the that design, oversee the testing and manufacture, and arrange distribution, but we are not those distributors. i cannot handle these issues in any constructive way.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience in the USA has been excellent. I have needed parts in the past for both Chinook AND Maui Sails booms. BOTH companies responded right away. Both charged me little or nothing for the parts and got them to me fast. Phil McGain at Maui Sails and Caleb at Chinook were great to deal with.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsurfn1426 wrote:
Chinook: integrated RDM boom shim.

Actually, the shim is simply clipped in place, and can come off and disappear. After losing a couple of them, I am now careful about checking for them as I de-rig.
Frank4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wsurfn,

Since you have both, comparing the two heads, which one is taller? In the area that actually contacts the mast?

The maui sails one I saw had a nice tall clamp made even taller with the boom shim. I good thing I think for load distribution on the mast, especially for wave sailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: