myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
shacks: Nov-Feb wind?/what sail?/buddy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico.mecklenburg

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: shacks: Nov-Feb wind?/what sail?/buddy? Reply with quote

Dear windsurfers who know a bit about windsurfing at Shacks Beach, Puerto Rico, thanks for any, even tiny, input!

I was so lucky to get some month off work to be spent in the caribbean (Nov-Feb 2014/2015) and the first two months (maybe more) I am going to spent with my family at Shacks Beach, where I have rented a cabana. Now I need some advice about the wind in Nov/Dec and which sails to bring as I am restricted to 30kg gear.

I have heard, Nov is not as good and wind picks up in early Dec, other sources say it is blowing year round, other say Shacks is the most windy spot on the island, summarizing all this: what sails would you take as you know the conditions best? I am a semi professional windsurfer of 67kg, but carrying only a 77liter board with me to be able to utilize days with lighter wind as well. Regarding the sails, the choice to take is between 5,9/5,3/4,7(4,5) sqm or 5,3, 4,7 and 4,2. Jan/Feb we might stay in PR or move over to Dominican Republic or cruise to Barbados which should also be considered for the "sail-decision".

Apart from that we are always in search of open-minded friendly people to make friends with, not necessarily windsurfer, maybe also with kids, and yes: hablamos espanol!

I also have some practical questions regarding renting/buying a car in that period and storage of my gear while we travel to Costa Rico over Christmas (what a life...).

Saludos de Alemania, I hope for some feedback from windsurfing friends.
Nico
dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My g/f has an apartment on the other end, Fajardo, and we've spent mid Dec. thru mid Jan there for the past 3 years.
I"m 150 lbs, her also, and we rig a 5.5 90% of the time, mostly 4 days a week in either SanJuan (IslaVerde or PuntaLasMarias), or Fajardo (7 seas). She rides a 118 Exocet pro slalom and I use an old SeatrendATV 102.
PR winds are light, usually averaging 17, and while 28 does happen, it's one out of 20 days. Most likely, you will find lots of days of 13, with a peak of around 17 mid mornings.
I'd recommend bringing an 85 sized board and sails 6, 5.2, and 4.5 to cover all the ranges.
Shacks is wavesailing, but the launch is shadowed, like most PR spots, so some slogging to leave shore and sail back in without swimming is often required.
Here in NorCal, I use mostly a 72 liter board for wavesailing, PaloMarin, Limantour, Waddel, or Davenport, but the winds here are much stronger and more steady, and concentrated in the afternoons.
PR can blow mostly late morning, then die from around 3 on, often to totally no wind.
We haven't bought winter tickets yet, but we do plan another winter break in Fajardo if ticket prices drop below 500.
Keep in touch. She does have an aunt in Aquadilla, who's really nice and just several blocks from one of the beaches there.
nico.mecklenburg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your fast and qualified reply! Very convenient having an aunt living next to a world class windsurf spot... ... if you visit her, make sure to stop at Villa Coqui at Shacks Beach and watch out for a German family...
How is the wind in November? Like all the other months or is it less windy, does it make sense at all to spend the November at Shacks Beach?
Good to know that there is windsurfing also on the other side of the island in Fajardo, then I will bring the gear with me whenever we will travel around the island.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...
My g/f has been in Puerto Rico for a week. Sat, Sun, and Mon were good winds all along the N shore of the Island, then rain and calm thru yesterday.
Seems PR can have wind almost any time, and then 4 day periods of somewhat calm.
Lucky we usually stay on the E shore, as Humacao and spots SE have wind even on days when it's almost calm at SanJuan and Fajardo. We haven't gone out on the SE shore, but did drive to a few spots and checked them out from the shore. We're going to check out Fajardo Bay, as it's more exposed to ESW winds, as Fajardo and SanJuan is shaded by the shore.
Keep me informed when you go in Nov. We bought our tickets, leaving SFO in Dec.12 for SanJuan, and will be staying for a month.
This past winter, we met a Dutch couple in 7 Seas, and they used our gear alternating on the beach for 2 weeks.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on PR this winter....
Flying in around 13th of Dec., staying in SanJuan for 2 days, then off to Fajardo for 2, then booked a stay at Rincon Beach Resort for one night. Bringing WS gear of course.
Have another booking S shore in Guanica for 2 nights, bringing SUP and windsurf gear around Jan. 4-5th.
In between, staying at San Juan to windsurf Punta Las Marias or Isle Verde, and at Fajardo to sail 7 seas, Luqillo, or the SE shore around Humachao.
nico.mecklenburg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to give you an update...arrived first of Nov. and two weeks with no wind (almost hated this place) but last weekend the tradewinds picked up and it seems the will stay for the next week. The wind is within the 15-20 knt range with waves up to 2m. This is one of the best places for windsurfing-waveriding I have ever been. Sunny, cristal clear and warm water, the reef is a bit shallow at some places. Not that shallow to destroy the fin but when doing the waterstart you have to be carefull not to hurt yourself. Apart from that the wife/kids can play on the beach as the beach is protected from the wind.
I will stay here at Shacks Beach until 17th of Dec. and will come back to PR on 27th of Jan. -31st of January and we will stay in Humacao then. If there is any overlap with your stay - let me know and we can have a beer...otherwise I wish you a good time here as well.

I have lost two battens of one of my sails. Do you have an idea where to get sail battens on this Islands or even an old sail to recycle the battens?
Cheers Nico
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report. Seems San Juan has been windy most days.
Battens. You can get them at most sailboat stores, not exactly like your battens, but battens nonetheless. West Marine is one that stocks them, at least last year at the Fajardo West Marine store.
Unfortunately, we're going to miss each other by a few days.
We arrive in SanJuan on the 14th, have family obligations till the 16th, then need to go to the Fajardo house to turn on utilities, and go to Rincon Beach Resort on the 19th, missing you by a couple of days.
If anything changes, contact us here or we will contact you through this internet site.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on PR for Dec. .....
Arrived with 2 days of less than 18mph breezes, but the time period of 10-noon seems to blow just 20 for only those times.
Sailed ESE winds at Rincon Beach Resort, like the direction at Thousand Peaks on Maui, using a 5.5 and Hypersonic122. Saw some good possible wavesailing spots just NE of Domes, but it was late, we needed to keep going, winds 22, sideshore, and waves around 5' on sets, which were infrequent.
Some 10-20 wind at PuntaLasMarias for a couple days, once again mid day and dying by 2PM.
Got 2 out of 4 at Seven Seas in Fajardo, planning 3/4 of the time, 5.5 and 102 liter board.
Now back at San Juan for 3 days, no windsurf gear with us, but a new RENTAL spot at PuntaLasMarias 4 houses Westerly, renting RRD boards, mostly FreeRace and some kind of Freerides. They plan to get more boards soon, hopefully some wave boards for the outside reefs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: