myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quick Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeg83

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Quick Update Reply with quote

This is just a quick update from my previous post:
http://iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28849&highlight=

I ended up picking up a used F2 Phoenix 320 a couple months ago but I've only been able to get out twice so far (I'm splitting time between the east and west coast of Florida). Last week I headed out to Mangonia Lake in West Palm Beach. Winds were out of the east around 16kts. I did not have the correct length harness lines, so no harness, but I did get planing and into to footstraps. It was a ton of fun, but my forearms and lower back got worked. It definitely sucked beating upwind to get back to shore, but I think that was most likely a technique issue. Another lesson or two is needed, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

- Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Quick Update Reply with quote

mikeg83 wrote:
I did not have the correct length harness lines, so no harness

Any length will do in a pinch. Spread them wider/narrower to shorten/lengthen them, raise or lower the boom as necessary, and/or adjust your hook height, as most harnesses are designed to allow.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice Mike! And thanks for sharing ! What is the rest of your kit consisting of? You need those harness lines asap! Besides from saving your forarms they help you to get planing easier and prevent you from leaning over your back foot defensively and thus turning the board upwind.
Returning upwind to the launching spot sucks right?! It summons painfull memories from the time I was at your stage / just 4 years ago Embarassed /. Keep it in mind and look upwind and slog upwind ALL the time using every gust to turn downwind as much as you can and try to get planing /repeat if unsucssesfull / Btw returning downwind in strong wind sucks even more Sad !
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Returning upwind to the launching spot sucks right?! ... slog upwind ALL the time ...returning downwind in strong wind sucks even more Sad !

Until you get good at it. Whether I'm on a 135L windSUP or a 65 liter wave board, even on a 3.2 on either board (bigger swell), as long as it's heavily powered I LOVE blasting downwind with the hammer down in swell. The skill can be acquired quickly; the bigger challenge -- and reward -- is the confidence, adrenaline, and nerve. As scary is it seems, I have yet to crash doing it despite doing so every few minutes ... not counting the early learning curve on the strapless windSUP.

I take the opposite approach in returning to my launch site when I have enough sail to plane only half the time: I pinch way upwind when I can PLANE upwind, then stay there if the wind is holey. That way most of my deliberately limited slogging is off the wind, which even I can do adequately. My first reach or three after launching are as straight upwind as I can plane, just in case that was a gust and everything else is lighter. Only when I am convinced that I can get upwind at will do I deliberately venture off the wind except for very short assists when required to plane. Lengthy such attempts are a recipe for the walk of shame, a major PITA that can taker > an hour at Bob's Beach in Gorge east winds or hours at Del Carpenter's Rathburn Lake in Iowa in NW winds (that was a frigging safari).
mikeg83

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

The rest is a 5.0 NP Wave sail, a NP 6.5 V6 (not sure the years for either)--I've only used the 5.0 so far, and a true ames 13.5" blade weed fin. Harness lines are on the way and should be waiting for me on the east coast by tomorrow afternoon. I ordered a set of adjustable lines, 22-30"--hopefully they'll work out well. I'll be using a dakine XT seat that I've been using for years of catamaran sailing. Unfortunately a cold front with light wind is coming through this week/weekend so I doubt I'll be getting out for a little while.

I just kept sliding further downwind, I think it was too much fun to change course. It was kind of like when I would snowboard and would just keep following deeper and fluffier powder until I would ride right into thigh deep on a flat. That's a real walk of shame.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start saving dough for a 7.5 man, you're gonna need it soon Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: