myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Out of control at Rowena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:
OK, here's my story.
I was on port tack, on a beam reach when this guy came right at me from upwind! I hollered at him " hello, do you see me? He couldn't hear cause he was on the phone! My shopping cart was only dinged slightly. Thank God I had on a helmet.
Just because it's the Safeway parking lot doesn't mean everyone does it the safe-way.

Was your dog in the cart?
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by whitevan01 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
starfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: My dog Reply with quote

Not all us love you. Stay home, my dog is a better person then you.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfing must be dying; I do not recall seeing any posts complaining about ROW or BAF'ing at the Hatch. Or about loose dogs and dog poop in the rigging area. Or about thoughtless people consuming parking spaces for their lawn chairs. But we do have a few more days of summer here to come up with some classic complaints...
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Dogs AND kids.... Reply with quote

....or at least educate your progeny to stay out of the launch path. Roosevelt was packed and there were about 15 kids in the launch area...and 5 right in the path that leads to the water...where two windsurfers have to go single file into the water....here are the kids, and moms watch as sailor after sailor has to try to negotiate this kiddie slalom, with mom going "Watch it, kids, here comes another one"....like we are a threat to be tolerated. WTF? It's a windsurf launch not a kiddie sand box...

Doggies...someone kindly marked a big pile of dog poop in the one clear rigging area that was still uncovered with tents and cribs...Some neat parent even rigged up a neck high zip line to amuse their kids, I guess..

I know, it's a public park and everyone belongs. It's also somewhat obvious to see that it isn't easy or safe to carry a rigged sail and board through kids standing and playing right in the path to the water. Put the kids on the kite launch...see how that works out for you. Its warmer over there and less windy..
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know what worst, dogs or kids.

Probably kids.

I mean, dogs usually die when they are 13-14 years old.

Kids become teenagers.

Wink Wink Wink
starfish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teenagers are by far the worst. They grow up to be old man windsurfers. LOL
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
Teenagers are by far the worst. They grow up to be old man windsurfers. LOL

Ya! "Hey, you kids! Get off my launch"....

I still think the moms oughta take their kids to the kite beaches....strangle the little.....wait,

... take em to the kite beaches because those launches are usually flatter and sandy shorelines and are all around better places for kids...and those kites look like such nice hammocks when stored on the beach...
trudyl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebkoohs, great apology and explanation, I was sitting at the Gold Beach jetty and a kite landed on me and the guy had an equipment failure, he was so nice and apologized, so no big deal.

After hearing the threats of violence, I am embarrassed to be a windsurfer. Still no explanation about what her dog was doing launching with her.
bthiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late in posting on this particular thread. I am an East Coast Central person. I had a very different encounter at our area, but it's the same old story. The thread is called Kiter/Windsurfer fight. It's currently at the top of the page. I have my story detailed, as a windsurfer, although windsurfing/kiting was not at issue. It was a moronic kiter that launched in the parking area upwind of cars and people.

There is a bad situation here with kiters, who are not seasoned in watersportsmanship. Long story short, Lot launcher's out of control kite, still in the Lotlauncher hands, crashed down rebounds and hits the board attached to my roof.

I am a small person, kiter's got arms, and is above average sized potatoe head. I got into his face telling the Lot Launcher Dude never to launch were people are downwind, in a crowded holiday launch lot. I was loud. Later a few suggested to help him in knowing not to launch in the parking lot, in a nicer way. Come ON! And they want to police the crowd into being smarter someway else?

He did then have his kite flying low, over the water at the edge of the bulkhead. Completely inadvertantly, it's being said I must have made his kite splash upside down into the bay. OH WOW. Maybe I did but "where is the Beef?" of the outrage dierected at me to be assaulted.

He then, because his kite got wet or crashed, made a quick move to punch me out. I back away out of his reach, but he settled for launching himself at me and throwing me to the shelled ground cover, leaving my back looking like fresh ground meat. I was left to feel I was in error of doing some wrong when I took it upon myself to help others from getting hurt in any future I'm sorry, you got your leg cut by my lines while rigging in a parking lot.

The East Coast is full of whimps. I was the only one with balls enough to even approach LotLauncher, and tell him he was wrong. Of course I was directly in the line of the flight path, but I wasn't arguing for just for myself. At least you west coast guys stick together, and let the jerks know they are wrong, at least there you act together as a team, and not leave it up to a 64 year old skinny windsurfer. A few are saying that I was in the wrong and caused LotLauncher to push me down when his kite splashed down. Why, I still don't know, except I made his kite spashed into the water, he may have done so himself to make himself look better. Kite are built for the water and a few of them a kite crash is just not a crash but what kites do.

Sorry isn't the answer, they do it all the time "Sorry dude, Let me jump over your new Fanatic XTE and laugh, as I get skim water over my face. Over and OVER again, seems impossible, but to lanch a kite, and walk 200 ft into the water makes as much sense as a gravel lot water starts for windsurfers.

If anyone cares to look at the thread feel welcome. Most of these issues aren't a battle between Windsurfer and Kites, it's about the few making very bad judgement calls, and making them over and over again while there is no arm of justice with a hammer, park ranger or any control over individuals sailing within any form of rules and regulations.

Now I have read where we need to police ourselves. ?

I think my ventue is going to be the ocean whenever possible.

Tiger 5.8-6.3 Ezzy Wave 4.2-5.0( 6.3 FOR SALE)
See you on the water- Boyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: