myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you remember the first time?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Do you remember the first time? Reply with quote

Much like a first child or a first love your first jibe sticks with you
For a lifetime...A true milestone in any sailors career ....
Where was yours?

1998 San Louis res. kinetic slalom board
Rails sharp enough to cut yourself on.
Not sure I could turn it now actually lol.

Give it up you know you remember Very Happy Gman.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was my first waterstart. I was like a miracle. I'd been windsurfing for over a year before I even tried one, so I was very comfortable planing, jibing and tacking. Suddenly up out of the water and instantly starting to plane up. I couldn't believe it, and all it took was the first one. After that, waterstarting was a snap. It was just like riding your first bike. Another miracle of sorts in one's life.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the 1998 KineticFreeSlalom276 as my lightest wind board, in my van right now. But it's too voluminous for good jibes at my 152 lbs. It's as fast as ANYthing now, for ligher winds and flatter waters, but it's high strung and needs tuning for extended performance.
Best learning moment, when I sailed from the docks at LakeMerced to the bridge on the East end and back on two tacks, Alto200 liter board with a 6.0 sail.
Not quite so fun, sailing a rainy windy day from the bridge heading NNW to the docks, broad reach all the way, winds 5-32mph, on a 85 liter poly glass slalom board.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have ,y big slalom Kinetic, swapped it for a Mistal Synchro 115 and it made all the diff. Bought the K on clearance at Berkeley Boardsports for $600 over the protests of Kevin Kan probably that it was an older generation design. Had fun with it though. I had some sweet sessions on the bay with my 7.3.

First time planing on Narraganset bay in Rhode Island, 1989, on the original Windsurfer. I got an erection.

First jibe was off Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys, on my Electric Rock. Key was to grab the mast versus the boom to help the sail swing around.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: First Water Start was more memorable for me Reply with quote

First Water Start was more memorable for me
It took me something like 6 months of trying as
weekend sailor do to conditions. It was in Kanaha on
an Astro Rock. But it took another two years to make it automatic.
Jibes took a long time but at least I was up and sailin,
and could come out dry even if not planning.
It took a long time to get into the straps as the boards were
are small tailed and I am 220lbs to you had to get the board
to go screaming fast before you could even attempt it .
And the nose was heavy and bounced wildly when you tried
to go fast in anything but flat conditions.
The No Nose Bic Veloce helped as they wouldn't bounce wildly
through the chop.
After that I was content to go fast and jibe for a long time, 8 or 10 years.
When I was bored with that, Duck jibes were next step the first one of those I made was pretty memorable. Although the ones after it were better.
Georges

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in hindsight the Bic techno did more for my sailing skills than any other board. It truly was ahead of its time if you think about it , many new shapes too this day have adopted the same wide format in there shaping. It was early to plane & staple, allowing plenty of time for a struggling jibe artist to perfect his craft.....Gman.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1984, Lopez Lake, Ca., using a new O'Brien Sensation, out in the middle of the lake, trying to figure out water starting, sick of uphauling like a wuss. I've got everything lined up the way I should (I'd been studying), plenty of wind, but I wasn't getting pulled up onto my board. Some guy comes sailing by and yells out "straighten out your arms!", I did, and then boom, I was up onto the board. To this day I don't know who that was, but it opened up a whole new level for me.
As they say, the rest was history.
hitech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First water start, Barbados in 1983. It was survival on a big Mistral board at SilverStrand and I either water started or died. Ocean swell was a real enlightening experience for a guy from Nebraska who thought he could sail.
First time in the straps was Lopez in 1986. Moved from Nebraska and bought a Bruce Jones board that finally got up and planed versus the plastic POS that I had been trying to work with. Once in the straps, I was hooked forever.
First jibe was shortly after as you have to be going fast to be able to jibe.
windsurferd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: First planing ride and waterstart Reply with quote

first planing ride on a rocket 99 at Oneil Forebay in 1987 and first waterstart in 1987 at forebay after 2 months of uphauling!!!

Still love the forebay on windy days and high water, but my local watering hole is Coyote.
Georges

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough I to spend the majority of my season sailing coyote....
Gman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: