myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fast BACKwards...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Fast BACKwards... Reply with quote

....roll back 20 (or 25?) years, and there you are: where I'd still like to be this afternoon (and maybe I will). Smile
That doesn't happen too often in sports.

http://youtu.be/6fu5qr3inl8

Also, looking back, I'm amazed (stoked?) that I ended up meeting many of these guys (and many others) in person on beaches around the world, and that we sailed "together"...

WS rules! Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought about old gear.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a 1988 Haut Chop Hopper free the other day. Once worked onto a plan it really smokes. Thing weighs close to 20 lbs; but talk about smooth. I wish back in my youth I could've afforded one. Now I've got money but out of time.
jse

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my 89 Chop Hopper when it was current. Don't sail it anymore. It just doesn't feel right. But it was great in the Delta when the wind was nukin' and you wanted a board that would stick to the water, but would huck when you wanted to.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I get it about the equipment, but I was (also) talking about the appeal of the wind-powered speed, the technique, the exhilaration, and -simply put- the fun that the sport provides, and hasn't changed much in 20 years.
Gotta love that.

Might be obvious to us, but I don't think it is to all the bystanders who watch us on the water and a redbull wing suit freefall video with the same ("ignorant"?) attitude.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get the same rush.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
I wish back in my youth I could've afforded one. Now I've got money but out of time.

Are you? There's obviously some chronological age beyond which some sort of WSing is extremely unlikely, but isn't that WELL into our 80s? Won't nutrition, training, and modern medicine compensate for most obstacles until then?

Please say, "yes", because I'm counting on that if I can just forestall my primary medical threat. Until that outcome is known, age itself remains just a number, not a make or break factor. I can accept, begrudgingly, that someday well into my 70s, I might become unable to sail longer and harder than most WSers -- hell, even kiters -- 1/3 my age, but by then I'll be so far ahead of their TOW they'll never catch up.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
Now I've got money but out of time.
isobars wrote:
age itself remains just a number

...true, but also the kids college and my retirement fund, as well as everybody's mortgage or rent are (significant) numbers.
Smile

Unfortunately, as fit as I feel, the leisure hours I'm getting, since I've been living my adult (<-responsible) life in SF, have dramatically decreased.
Never enough money and no (working week) time is many sailors trouble.
Sad
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bipbip wrote:
Suba-rude wrote:
Now I've got money but out of time.
isobars wrote:
age itself remains just a number

...true, but also the kids college and my retirement fund, as well as everybody's mortgage or rent are (significant) numbers.
Smile

Unfortunately, as fit as I feel, the leisure hours I'm getting, since I've been living my adult (<-responsible) life in SF, have dramatically decreased.
Never enough money and no (working week) time is many sailors trouble.
Sad

Yeah, but Subarude is past all that, and some day you will be. Motivation and dedication also help, as demonstrated by a bud who never stopped sailing yet took great care of his growing family. His wife was shredding high winds at 7-8 months in December (IIRC), took off the winter to deliver the kid, and was back on the water by the spring thaw ... in warm New Mexico. Their new daughter's primary impact on their WSing was that they rotated sessions, with one parent or the other always on shore with the infant ... pretty easy to do when parked 20 feet from the water even in the winter. His boss allowed flexible hours even in his 8-5 lab tech job, so he missed very few "windsdays" -- windy weekdays -- even though our lakes were 180 miles away, and he kept their old van running like a champ for hundreds of thousands of miles with his technical skills. They substituted dedication, planning, and dual working-stiff (as opposed to high-paying glamor) careers for money, yet still got the kiddo through college when the time came.

It can often be done. I am not in favor of farming kids out to day care regularly, but their fine daughter seemed to thrive on their plan, and she probably got more face time with her parents than most kids do, even if it was often in a van and/or on a beach.

Your sailing options oviously include dawn patrol on the Delta and evenings on the Bay, unless you choose instead to work long hours or actually get enough sleep. You obviously have to tightwalk the tradeoff between numerous sailing venues and the absolutely crushing cost of living your area is infamous for, but what's a life without challenges to manage?
spennie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age is just a number until you pearl at 35 mph like I did last year at age 57, strain/tear? some connective tissue and it takes forever to heal (6 weeks). No, an impact vest wouldn't have prevented my particular injury. Sure you can windsurf until you're dead, but that video shows speed sailing, best left to the youngsters. I don't think Dale Cook is going to be jumping 30 feet high when he's 65, either. Although he is pretty crazy.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: