myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Making a sun shade out of old dacron windsurf sail. How to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to make a sunshade out of an old windsurfing sail:
1. Lean it against a tree.
2. Crawl under it.
3. If it gets too noisy, insert earplugs.
Corollary to #3: If it's that noisy, why are you lying under a sail rather than sailing?
4. If the sun moves, repeat Step 2.
5. If the sail blows away, repeat Step 1, then Step 2.
6. When all that gets to be too much hassle, just lie in the TREE's shade and try to muster the energy to repeat #2 as necessary.

Warning: Do not try this with a monofilm sail. You will go deaf, bake to a crisp very quickly, or both.

If you get too crisp under the monofilm sail, wear your full wetsuit next time so you stew rather than bake. It's a question of whether you prefer jerky or pot roast.

Love that Sheldon sail, BTW, and didn't even need to read its label. They were smooth as silk in gusty Gorge winds.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Sorry Buff! Reply with quote

Iso, I read your post and dragged out my coveted Angulo 5.7 wavesail and meticulously followed your instructions... SWEET!!! Then it blew over the fence onto my neighbor's new barbeque.... did you know W/S sails are quite flammable? Luckily, he had just tapped a new keg and put the blaze out with cold Shock Top. His dog was only slightly singed , and his guests thought this was staged entertainment. I'll really miss that old Pryde... Commando Bull Out!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing funnier than a burning dog and a bunch of red necks drinking beer! Laughing Crying or Very sad

I suggest going to Costco and buying the $17 model.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refer to the original topic post and read. Maybe even read it twice.
Inexperienced blowhards, please restrain yourselves from derailing the topic.
If you want to start a different topic, go ahead and do so.

Costco/money is not an option a solution; I want to hear from creative DIYers who have actually tried and failed, failed, failed, and maybe succeeded.

Thank you. Twisted Evil
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least rednecks drinking beer have the means, knowhow, and willingness to extinguish the burning dog, presuming they can catch it.

Sorry, Biff, but if we had a perfect solution for ya, we'd already have posted it. It's not clear to me why you can't just staple/duct tape/glue it to the house and replace it when it finally destructs.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
You may have better luck finding a solution here.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/rocket-city-rednecks/videos/monkeying-around/

Ah, yes ... my home town, with bona fide rocket scientists by the thousands. I notice their website has a translation section. I don't get it; isn't their English perfectly normal? I'll bet they could fasten your old sails to the side of the house, Biff, for only a few thousand bucks.

Naaah ... they'd use staples, duct tape, and glue, especially since old sails, masts, and booms are literally free you-know-where.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: