myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Making a sun shade out of old dacron windsurf sail. How to?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that anyone is dumb enough to use a windsurf sail to shade a sunny house where the wind is blowing 15-30 mph?
I think not.
The NOISE alone would be prohibitivie. You mention dacron sail. Those have little loose leech, so would be the most quiet. How to keep it from flapping in the wind and self destructing? RIG IT.
A tiny bit of common sense sometimes is applicable to some situations.
evfrak

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory you should put the sail between the sun and what you want to shade. I am guessing that would work. That will probably almost block some wind. Am I understanding your question? Where is that pressure gradient guy? He knows everything.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More guessing and theorizing. Sorry! Not allowed.

Still looking forward to hearing from somebody who has actually DONE this (and perhaps even failed!). I'm definitely going to TRY this. I just don't want to go through a big learning curve. I want to hear from somebody who has tried it already.

Thanks.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stapled the mast sleeve to the 2 x 6 board on my patio cover. You might be able to do the same under the eve of your roof. To prevent it swinging up against the house maybe try weighted lines or stakes below. Every situation is different so hard to give a definitive answer. I kept the battens in on this so it doesn't flap around.

08192012640.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.17 MB
 Viewed:  13809 Time(s)

08192012640.JPG

windbetty

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have an old windsurf sail (rigged onto a heavy old mast). we used 2 bike hooks on the building to hold the mast. we used a second half mast to tie the clew. we then secured the half mast to our grill.

if you were in a windy environment, you will need more than a grill to hold that sail! maybe a few holes in the sail, and a nice cement block to sink the mast into to prop up the sail shade.

i love our sail shade. there are so many old sails and masts out there. keep em out of the land fills! i especially like the CRYSTAL LIGHT sail we have, so 80s!

So this is the Boardsports Shack in Alameda. Funnily, we have had a good handful of 30 mph wind days this Spring! But i do confess, we don't hang the sail then, we go windsurfing or kiting!

Jane
--
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda - San Mateo - SF
Voted "Best of the Bay"
http://www.BoardsportsSchool.com

shacksmall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.43 KB
 Viewed:  13782 Time(s)

shacksmall.jpg

coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large windsurf sail to act as a shade in Gorge winds? Let me tell you a story about the Three Little Pigs.

You may have better luck finding a solution here.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/rocket-city-rednecks/videos/monkeying-around/

Coachg Laughing
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Now we are talkin'! Reply with quote

Yes! Some people with actual DATA and not just THEORY (except for one Chicken Little).
Smile

Thank you for the true knowledge from people who GET it (reduce, reuse, recycle IN THAT ORDER).

More actual knowledge welcome. Keep 'em comin'!

P.S. I really like the grill anchor. Very artistic. If I had to live in the Bay Area, I would seriously consider the Alameda marina a la "sneak-aboard".
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Build a fence with old boards instead! Reply with quote

Hey Buff. With your attitude toward people who are trying to help you with your futile request, why don"t you put on your little thinking cap and come up with some brilliant design that will send me rushing to my garage to copy your genius with my 35 plus years of acquired sails. By the way, have you considered the UV issue and the heat generated as the sun bakes the sail material? The lifespan of your creation would send you to your local canopy maker to construct a durable, practical sunshade. But hey, be creative and remember, no theories, wild-ass conjectures, or dumbass ideas... Bull OUT
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Build a fence with old boards instead! Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
Hey Buff. With your attitude toward people who are trying to help you with your futile request, why don"t you put on your little thinking cap and come up with some brilliant design that will send me rushing to my garage to copy your genius with my 35 plus years of acquired sails. By the way, have you considered the UV issue and the heat generated as the sun bakes the sail material? The lifespan of your creation would send you to your local canopy maker to construct a durable, practical sunshade. But hey, be creative and remember, no theories, wild-ass conjectures, or dumbass ideas... Bull OUT

I am interested in keeping this topic on topic and not having anybody derail it. I really don't want to get into anything with any keyboard commandos looking to start a fight or blowhards. I'm actually a very thoughtful person who has considered various aspects of this challenge, including wind, UV, and long-term push/pull stressors. I just want to cut the learning curve down a bit before I actually do this. And I can do that with advice from people in the know, who have already actually tried it, failed, and tried again. All other advice is just guessing. Or changing the subject. Thanks.

I encourage anybody who wants to start their own entirely different topic (such as best ways to shade in a windy environment, how to build a board fence, etc.) to do so and go crazy on it.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one quite awhile ago, sorry no pics, and it's gone now.
It wasn't attached to the house, but strung somewhat flat between 3 big pine trees. I left a little sag to it so that the mast sleeve would hang smoothly along with the rest of the sail, one rope at each of the 3 corners going to the trees that were in a sort of triangle, far enough apart so that the sail fit in between them just fine.
Then came the final touch, the sail was hung pretty high, so I rigged a hammock underneath it. Not only did the sail shade the hammock, but it also caught the pine needles, which would slide off the sail and keep the hammock clean.
Spent many hours in that relaxing, and the wind never really bothered it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: