myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindSapien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Reply with quote

Indeed as Eva previously posted , the water is going out at about the same rate it's coming in.
My wife and I sailed with another couple Sat. before last and one of our friends hit a sand bar just a little south of the Old Isabella Rd. Ramp. Lucky in an unlucky sort of way. No damage to her or her gear but a nice tumble over the handle bars.
My wife and I kayaked a couple of days out in our sailing area and did some
unofficial and non technical soundings and found the lake to have sufficient depth out in the middle of our normal reach but most of the areas where we would jibe were too shallow and unsafe. The trees aren't the only hazard. There are rocks just under the surface in many areas, there are sand bars in the middle of the lake, islands that are virtually impossible to see when the wind whips up the water, there are even sunken boats out here. One of which was exposed when the lake dropped earlier this year.
I guess if the sensor had to malfunction , this was as "good" a time as any.
There are boulders lining the edge of the Old Isa. Rd. ramp area just inches below the surface. On average the sailing that can be done is short and hazardous. With the low water level the wind doesn't get down to the lake as well as it does when the level is up. I live just about a mile from the lake and I've hauled down to the lake expecting white caps on the lake because it was howling here at the house just to find baby caps and spotty wind.With four of us out there sailing it was already pretty crowded .
It's not good .
Hey Tony, I was hoping to sail with you at Lopez. We have multiple reservations there this year . Low water there this year might shut us down again.
Looks like Arroyo and Rio are our best bet.
The Fishing Derby is this weekend and the campers are lining the shore. The good thing is they will bring some revenue here to our valley. The bad thing is the lake will look like a county dump when it's all done like it does every year after the Derby.
Sorry to post so much negative but the truth hurts and that's the way it is.
Don't kill the messenger.
WS
mpierce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Isabella Reply with quote

Runoff potential is bleak as well. Mammoth Mountain has an 8 foot base at the summit, but most of the storms did not have much of an impact south of Mt Whitney. I don’t see Isabella being sailable this season. Time to buy a fishing pole, or maybe a spear.
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary: I did map the obstacles in our sailing venue back in November, when the lake was 2 1/2ft lower than it is now. I have all the GPS coordinates, so could find them again once they are submersed; I put markers on all of those South of the launch ramps, except that some markers disappeared - I will replace them after The Derby.
Btw: Derby crowds are amazingly sparse right now - while some space hogging is going on in the Ghetto, "my" launch is still wide open (and I had me a wonderful sesh Sunday afternoon)
Anyhow - if you want my obstacle map, give me your email addy!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water at Lopez is at 56%. For now its just fine. The thing is, It has stayed pretty much the same all winter when it should have gone up. Very little rain fall this year. Long time locals have seen the sailing area dry. They also tell me that it gets shallow fast from here. I guess it all depends on how fast they let it out. I sailed last week 3 days and it was just fine. You never know but I think it should be ok at least till July. I see a Rio and bay trip in my future after that.... tony
germar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to sail Isabella on Memorial weekend, but the low water level described in this post is a concern. I also just talked to a ranger and she told me that the lake is currently only at 12% of capacity. She also confirmed that there are numerous obstacles. Windsurfing is still permitted, though. Has anyone sailed at Isabella recently and can give me some advice whether or not there is enough water at the ghetto? I don't mind a short reach, but I don't want to hurt myself when I fall in the water and hit a submerged tree that I can't see. Thanks!
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have been sailing in the AuxDam area these past couple of weeks without problems with obstacles. The Ghetto, however, is studded with trees, some still visible, some just submersed - only the foolhardy sail there! For almost daily updates, go check out my Facebook blog at https://www.facebook.com/groups/294638607227135/
or email me eva at boardlady dot com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: