myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What are your local rules for windsurfing and kiting? Kanaha
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: What are your local rules for windsurfing and kiting? Kanaha Reply with quote

What are your local rules governing windsurfing and kitesurfing? Kanaha needs your help!

We need examples of rules that have been working to promote harmony between windsports users and other water and shoreline users. Our local enforcement officers are telling us they're hearing complaints from other user groups, and that the current state rules are not enforceable. We'd love to hear from anyone who has knowledge and experience with their local rules and enforcement.

The background:
A community focus group has been meeting to address new rules for Kanaha Beach Park on Maui's north shore. We've had 3 of 4 scheduled meetings. The first one was basically an introduction to the situation, each other, and our goal as a group. The second and third gathered input on issues, needs, concerns, and goals of the various stakeholder groups - Swimmers, Fishers, Windsurfers, Lifeguards, Canoe clubs, Kiters, Vegetation / Malama Maui Nui, Divers, Governor’s office, Surfers / SUP, DOCARE / DLNR, DOBOR. In the fourth and final meeting, on May 27, we are supposed to develop recommendations to the DLNR (state Department of Land and Natural Resources) for new rules.

What are your local rules about:
1. Windsurfing and kiting access locations? Hours? Conditions?
2. Distance and speed from shoreline and other users?
(One of our rules, HAR 13-256-20 Windsurfing, states "Sailboard operators shall approach no closer than two hundred feet to a dive flag, indicating dive activity in progress.") Canoe paddlers report having kites jump over them, and shore fishers don't want windsurfers, kiters, or canoes running into their lines.
3. Separation of swimmers from kiters and windsurfers (or other uses)?
4. Formal or informal separation of user groups to specific areas?
5. Protecting beach-goers from uncontrolled or flyaway equipment?
6. Are you considered "vessels" under your local rules? What does that entail?
7. Is there a formal definition for windsurfing or kiting?

If you can provide specific language, and/or cite specific rules by their formal designations, that would be very helpful.

Here is information about Hawaii state rules we've thought governed windsports at Kanaha. http://kanahawatch.wordpress.com/existing-rules/ Most of the rules are from 1989 or earlier. We've assumed we fell under Coast Guard rules regarding vessels, but the DOCARE officers say we don't. The rules don't mention kiting because it didn't exist when the rules were formulated, so the local groups have voluntarily agreed to abide by the rules for windsurfing.

For more information on these meetings and this issue, see http://kanahawatch.wordpress.com/ and this thread: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27405

I am posting on these regional iWIndsurf forums:
Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5
Northwest USA & Canada http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
Eastern and Central USA & Canada http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6
I would appreciate it if a kiter would also post on iKitesurf forums.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. Please keep your responses on-topic and positive.

Karen Bennett
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars in 5-4-3-2-1.......
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (windsurf-dudette) always had a knot in my stomach when forced to sail near kites - until I went to South Padre Island recently, where a positive attitude on all sides, plus this minimal set of reasonable rules, makes coexistence quite peaceful http://www.spiwindsurfing.com/safety.html
airwave

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Sherman Islands we do not have waves to argue about but we do have launch sites and we have clean swell that needs sharing.

Sherman Island CA rules:

1. If you are a kiter and get out of line we have a windsurfer that is a professional MMA trainer that threatens to put you on the ground. He helps a lot.

2. We have a kiter that does most excellent BBQ chicken a couple of times per season and everyone is welcome to partake. He helps a lot.

3. The kites launch at their spot just up wind because it is a wide beach for launching and landing.

4. Windsurfers launch at two locations just downwind because they are shallow places to hang out and chat while on the water which is not recommended for kites.

5. Kite instructors and kiters are friendly and like to party.

6. Windsurfers are friendly and like to party. They don't need as much instruction.

7. Everyone stays out of each others way unless there is wind conditions that cause the occasional calamity. When that happens everyone complains, sometimes yells at each other and then just gets along.

8. So, it all works well. And when it doesn't the MMA windsurfer comes in handy.
Don't ask how we deal with the fishermen and the picnickers with the pit bulls.
That's not so easy.

Last edited by airwave on Sun May 18, 2014 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
airwave

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A footnote to the previous comment:

The guillotine kiteboards that all the kiters are so taken with this year may end up becoming a different matter to deal with. Kiters really can't handle them very well.
Even the best foil boarder is little more than an out of control beheading hazard.

I suspect the first time someone severs someones arm or head completely off it will put a stop to future problems.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents relative to kiting:

1. Provide designated launch areas and make sure they are clearly marked.

2. No boosting big air or doing tricks close to shore (especially in the launch area)

These are informal rules at Crissy. The fact that they are informal can often lead to problems especially when new folks show up and don't have a clue so maybe a few posted rules are a good thing.

Good luck with the process-Kanaha is such a wonderful gift to all water users. Hopefully some good common ground can be found.
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sailing Kanaha for two to three weeks every Summer for the past fourteen years, I have to admit I've never had any unpleasantness with any of the kiters. As a whole, the Kanaha crew are friendly, respectful in terms of right of way, helpful when checking on downed sailors out in the ""blue water,""I've no beefs wid da boys! That said, it only takes one bonehead to blow it all to Hell... aka the jerk who kited into the swimming area at Lowers and deciced to give lip to locals enjoying the beach. Not to suggest violence but when kiters, and windsurfers observe such idiocy, I say police your own... Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's gonna mess with Dabull!

I think the biggest hazard at Kanaha is Dave Ezzy on a big swell... Laughing
loopless

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourmaline, San Diego, is just a free-for-all. Surfers, suppers, kiters, and the remaining windsurfers all fighting for the same waves. The only reason it goes on is that is just isn't windy enough, often enough and no-one has been seriously hurt that I know of ..yet.
NickB

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the posted rules on the Boardsports shack in Alameda Crown beach (where I'd say kiters now outnumber windsurfers at least 10:1), in case it helps at all.
Kite lines scare the sh*t out of me so my personal safety rule is to sail upwind and/or outside asap, where the more experienced kiters are.

row.jpg
 Description:
right of way Alameda
 Filesize:  505.19 KB
 Viewed:  20300 Time(s)

row.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: