myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1984 Olympics windsurf sail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: 1984 Olympics windsurf sail Reply with quote

This is a North 6.5m with "I-14" label. Incidentally, no harnesses were allowed for this first Olympic windsurf race. Anybody know whose sail this was? I have had it for a long time and cannot remember from where I got it.
Thanks.
P.S. Funny jokes welcome, but I really am interested in discovering the original racer/owner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windglider

trike 006.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  309.98 KB
 Viewed:  19698 Time(s)

trike 006.jpg

trike 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.04 KB

trike 003.jpg

trike 002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.43 KB

trike 002.jpg

h2olm

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Biff,
Wow I think I may have seen your sail before in Fort Walton Beach Florida. I think it was Mike Gebhardt's (Gebi) sail. Not sure if I soelled his last name correctly. I do know he competed in something like 5 summer olympics. I also remember seeing this very sail hanging up in a bar in FWB Florida. Here is a link about Gebi: http://www.stableroad.com/gebhardt.html.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Thank you but... Reply with quote

I read the interview and did not see any definitive connection of this particular sail to Mike Gebhardt. It was a nice story about the Seoul Olympics (whoever did not get slammed got Silver!).

The number on the sail is definitive, if only I can connect it to a name. Did you see this sail with this number on it in the FWB bar?
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get full results from the '84 Olympic WS Event here:

http://www.sailing.org/regattainfo.php?rgtaid=10788&evntid=20784&view=eventoa&nocache=1#results
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Thank you. Interesting but... Reply with quote

this list of results does not include sail numbers. The ISAF ID #s are not the same as sail #s. I am still unable to make a definitive connection of this saill# to a sailor.

I wrote an email to the ISAF for more assistance in identification.
h2olm

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was many years ago back in the FLA days, and I was in a bar. I remember seeing a sail with Gebi's signature on the sail, so it must not be your sail. It just seemed familiar. Funny that they called the calss "windgliders"!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Windsurf turf war Reply with quote

I believe that was an era of windsurf turf war with patents, lawsuits, etc. The "Windglider" name is obviously a dodge in nomenclature. The Windsurfer plastic hull was deemed too variable (in heat) to be used as a standard for Olympics. At least that was the reason/excuse that was publicized.

It's cool that your memory recollected a similar sail in FL. It means I might be on a good track for identification.
eflatminor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the photo on this page is accurate, that wasn't the sail used in the 1984 Olympics:
http://www.sail-world.com/USA/index.cfm?SEID=0&Nid=97860&SRCID=0&ntid=0&tickeruid=0&tickerCID=0

Also, because there is a single representative from each country, numbers generally are not used in the Olympic regatta, only country letter abbrevs. So this could have been a sail used by an Olympic class windsurfer in other regattas back when the Windglider was in use.

1984 was well before the ISAF standardized the 3-letter country codes (e.g. USA, GBR, etc.) - before that USA was US, for example. Other countries had single-letter identifiers. I would look to one of the "I" countries. Unfortunately I can't recall if "I" was Italy, but it's possible.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Thank you. Reply with quote

Looks like the same cut and batten locations and the same window size and shape. But yes, my sail is a different color. It is definitely possible that this 6.5m sail merely SPORTED the 5 rings as a marketing gimic for an identical general public sail and in fact it was NOT used in the Olympics.

Thank you for the photo reference and elaboration on the numbering system and history! I was guessing Italy too. But it could also be Indonesia, etc. I hope it is a bonafide photo of the Olympic windsurfers in action. Right now, I trust that it is.

I have inquired with North Sails, the manufacturer, about this. But all I get is "Sgt. Schultz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf0aj7caIBc
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a mystery here. Normal day in the life of any good Windsurfing Museum curator!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: