myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need help setting up your THRUSTER?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demo fins often, and I also presume that most multifin board shapers have their stuff together well enough by 2014 to work for me, even if not optimal for a much superior sailor. 20 years ago that wasn't the case; Of the 5 multifinned boards I tested head to head then in nuke conditions, most sucked, two worked OK, and one was in a class hands down by itself.
BlackProjectFins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: DEMO Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
So what it amounts to is that multi-fin boards increase exponentially the chances of getting the board, fin, and sail balance totally wrong, and since one can not demo fins, ya better have deep pockets,my friend, if you are going down this road.

KMF

Don't hesitate to contact us if you want a demo, we can normally arrange something and will have demos at all AWT events this year as well as in Hatteras in the Spring and the Gorge in June at Windfest - https://www.blackprojectfins.com/contact/

We have good experience in helping people get it right so feel free to discuss specific ideas and situations Smile
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
So what it amounts to is that multi-fin boards increase exponentially the chances of getting the board, fin, and sail balance totally wrong, and since one can not demo fins, ya better have deep pockets,my friend, if you are going down this road.

Another argument for kiting??

KMF

The choice of fins does present an additional element . On a board that comes equipped with multi fins (VS one that is converted to multi) the fins supplied one would hope are suitable. What some do is tweak the fins to present a different feel, maybe tighter turns, maybe faster more drawn out turns, maybe better upwind. Changing the thread on the tire, rather than re inventing the wheel.

To change 3 or 4 fins in G10 it gets pricy, I would change 2 at a time, and small steps, since the fins are small to begin with.

By using different size fins on rx a tri fin : the board can be loose like a twin, firmly planted or sail close to singles feel.

IMO one could make a similar mistake totally wrong on a single fined board.

argument for kiting...

maybe some rationale for a single fin if so inclined

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:

Another argument for kiting??

KMF

I don't think I've ever seen a single fin kite board. So if fins are all you are worried about then the answer is no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: