myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big Oil and citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mac's benefit, I wanted to "set the record straight" regarding the TWO coal ash issues in North Carolina since there seems to be some confusion and miss information. In summary:

Seepage from a Duke Energy coal ash pond near Ashville was found in June? of 2013, and the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources proposed a fine of $99,000. That has now been rescinded until a Federal grand jury has its say.

On Feb. 2 of 2014, 39,000 tons of coal ash from a Duke Energy storage pond leaked into the Dan River near the Virginia border via a broken pipe that was under the pond. Large fines are anticipated.

Environmentalist have been on the North Carolina DENR's back since 2009, tying to get them to be more reactive to regulations concerning coal ash storage in the state. There is speculation that there is collusion between the DENR and Duke Energy, and a federal investigation has been initiated. Some think that the Republican Governor is complicit since he worked for Duke Energy before becoming Governor in 2013 (also a stock holder??).

I am not siding with anyone, but I did post earlier that the Republican Governor has been in office since Jan. 2013 and that the Democrats had been in the governorship for the previous 18 years. The Democrats apparently did not see an issue with Duke's coal ash storage, or with the DENR and their enforcement, nor were they responsive to the environmentalist's concerns that began in 2009.

My guess is that this/these issue will ultimately result in all of NC's coal ash storage ponds near water being moved or stored in a more secure way. I also think that it will have nation wide implications for coal fired energy plants and how their ash is stored or recycled. All good things.

Where regulations have been ignored, where collusion is proven, or where conflict of interest is proven, LET THE HAMMER FALL.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow--I almost agree with Techno's last post. He seems to have ignored the role that Republicans have played--for more than a decade--in fighting proper regulation of coal ash by EPA.

We can always blame the main stream media. Especially when I post only a tiny snippet of the actual coverage to make the point that pipelines spill a lot. Deeply incurious--but ready to blame a liberal. All the coverage that you bemoan was there in the original if you were curious. My point, again ignored, is that Republicans in government are doing their best to block access to information and cut sweetheart deals.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
True enough.
So are Dems.
Techno shows no signs of forgiveness to any of these worthless fools.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC--true that. A minority of politicians from both parties are not ethical, and will cater to their contributors. For them, campaign contributions buy their position, not the ability to be listened to politely.

But you are wrong to think that there is no difference in degree. The Republican talking points about unnecessary regulation are the justification for blocking regulation of toxic substances. Their efforts on behalf of coal and particulates are more than just occasional--they are systematic, and ignore the costs to public health. It wasn't always so--in my 30's and 40's, the Republicans I knew were the least hysterical environmentalists, who insisted on good science and cost-effectiveness. Kicked out as RINOs.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac said:
Quote:
KC--true that. A minority of politicians from both parties are not ethical, and will cater to their contributors. For them, campaign contributions buy their position, not the ability to be listened to politely

You mean like this -

Quote:
The next US ambassador to Norway, George Tsunis bundled $500,000 for President Obama in 2012, apparently knows nothing about Norway. Questioned by Senator John McCain about the anti-immigration Progress Party, which has now joined the ruling coalition, Tsunis had no idea what McCain was talking about. McCain asked for his thoughts; Tsunis replied, “You get some fringe elements that have a a microphone and spew their hatred. And I will tell you Norway has been very quick to denounce them.”

That is untrue. They are part of the ruling coalition, as McCain quickly pointed out.

Tsunis then replied, “I stand corrected. I would like to leave my answer at…it’s a very, very open society and the overwhelming amount of Norwegians and the overwhelming amount of people in parliament don’t feel the same way.”

Tsunis also referred to Norway’s “president,” although the country has no president, since it is a constitutional monarchy.

The Norwegian newspaper The Local commented, “Future US envoy displays total ignorance of Norway.”
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, don't you think that your quoted commentary is a bit one-sided? Really, it's more an reflection of McCain's ego and poor manners. More of that on display recently with his commentary about the Ukranian/Russian situation right now. Of course, the media is fishing for extremes.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--you provided evidence of ignorance, not corruption. Do you have any Republican legislators that you can name that are willing to introduce campaign reform legislation that will prevent bundling--from both parties?

You seem to have a trouble staying on topic.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

Quote:
The next US ambassador to Norway, George Tsunis bundled $500,000 for President Obama in 2012, apparently knows nothing about Norway. Questioned by Senator John McCain about the anti-immigration Progress Party, which has now joined the ruling coalition, Tsunis had no idea what McCain was talking about. McCain asked for his thoughts; Tsunis replied, “You get some fringe elements that have a a microphone and spew their hatred. And I will tell you Norway has been very quick to denounce them.”

That is untrue. They are part of the ruling coalition, as McCain quickly pointed out.

That's terrible.

Here's another example of a know-nothing politician expounding.... and in the process, demonstrating his utter incompetence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8uOHyLT8U8

And, oh gosh, another one reported by FOX NEWS... (so it must be fair 'n balanced)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5trxPYpYNQ
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are twenty other McCain errors of statement on that you tube page. He has a lot to say and that may not be best as we age with all these cameras on him every moment.
Imagine if they taped us. We make errors of fact here almost daily.
Except Iso of course.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac's post regarded "ethics" and political positions for big donors, not corruption. There you go again, making things up.

If anyone thinks it was ethical to appoint this guy as Ambassador to Norway, so be it, but not me.

Since the article that I posted shows "ignorance" according to mac, I should ask - Who's ignorance is at issue? The dummy or the one appointing the dummy?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 29 of 81

Jump to: