myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drysuits/wetsuits.I know, we have this discussion every year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used 303 on my Kokatat seals since I bought the suit many years ago. They look new, but then I use the suit only when a cheaper steamer isn't warm enough.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've used 303 on my Kokatat seals since I bought the suit many years ago. They look new, but then I use the suit only when a cheaper steamer isn't warm enough.

How often do you apply the 303?
Windnc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: drysyuts/wetsuits Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing with my Kokotat GFRE(Gore Tex Front Entry) drysuit since 2005 including three years of year round sailing in Holland on the North Sea. The suit has always kept me warm and overall I have been very pleased with it.

I sent it back to Kokotat last year to have new neck/wrist seals put in an for pressure testing. Much to my surprise and delight, they said it had a delamination and sent me a brand new GFRE suit at no cost to me!! What a great company!!!

However, there are two areas where I have not felt confident using the Kokotat. Those are for winter / cold water ocean/wave sailing and SUP paddle surfing. I have found the Kokotat to be just too buoyant, even with proper burping, for strong swimming in the surf and diving under breaking waves after falling. It makes it difficult to swim rapidly to catch up to your board and rig.

Also, I have always been more concerned with the potential for collision with the board and fin from be rolled and tumbled around in the surf after falling. I worry about the suit material be accidently cut into or other damage and excessive wear and tear on the suit from surf sailing.

So in search of a cold water, cold weather suit more practical for this purpose I heard about a suit made in England called the Ianovated. It is a 5-4mm neoprene suit with dry zipper across the back of the shoulder, a secondary inside safety zipper if the dryzipper were to fail, and a dry pee zipper too. More incredibly though, it incorporates a unique "Breath Powered Hand Warming" system! Using a small snorkel like mouthpiece connected to tubes running inside the suit, down the arms and out at the wrists; you insert the wrist tube ends into your gloves or mittens. Then when you exhale 98.6 degree body heated air is blown down right into your gloves keeping your hands and fingers warm. This system works so well that you can sail with a good pair of palmless mittens even on the coldest days and keep your fingers and hands warm!

When I first heard about this suit I thought it was just a gimmick. However, after being offered the opportunity to test it out and then using it all this last winter, I was amazed at no longer having to suffer from cold hands. Plus it kept me plenty warm on the coldest days when coupled with 5 mm boots and hood. Most importantly it has given me the ability to sail confidently in the surf and to do SUP surfing as well. In fact I like it so much that I have been using it for B&J sound side sailing too where I used to use my Kokotat.

Check it out at: http://ianovated.com.uk/

Good winds, and waves too,

Chuck
Windnc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: drysuits Reply with quote

Sorry, the link I just posted for info on the Ianovated suit in my previous post should have been: "http://www.ianovated.co.uk/"

Chuck
Thurston

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norcom - where do you live and did you wear anything on your head?
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston wrote:

North Florida. Yes, I wear a beanie. Started using the ProMotion one a few months back, really like it. Had it ordered custom size because I have a huge noggin and the hair always made the Mystic beanie slip off. May order another one a little bit wider as it interferes with my glasses a bit.
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston wrote:

North Florida. Yes, I wear a beanie. Started using the ProMotion one a few months back, really like it. Had it ordered custom size because I have a huge noggin and the hair always made the Mystic beanie slip off. May order another one a little bit wider as it interferes with my glasses a bit.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcom wrote:
isobars wrote:

How often do you apply the 303?

Post- and pre-season, plus any time the seals begin to look dull or mottled. It's not Armor All, and I trust Kokatat to know what works with their products.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone try the ion drysuit ? neoprene.. looks good...if it floods you at least get some themal protection from it neoprene.

it was mentioned before a bit..... the ocean rodeo soul ? looks nice, I like the zipper idea.

MY oneil assault after two seaon, is startingto show it's age. Not impressed with the construction or quality. almost every seam is pulling apart. I have more aqua seal holding the suit together, than actual sticthing. THe lower chin area is prone to tears or puncture (they should have reinforced this area....can you say "kneepads") Performance wise it is great...keeps me warm, and flexibilty. BUt after every session, i seem to be making repairs. the other day a hole formed in the neckseal. THe sticthing pulled apart.

Next year i will be shopping for a new suit.
btw, I am not hard on my suit, try and take care of it....but still falls apart.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyking, I've still been researching things. If money was no object, I think the OR soul is the way to go. But seeing as money IS a problem for a lot of us, here's what I've found out.

The ION suit is actually a pretty good option, you can find it for sub 500 and it seems like people that have it really like it. I've heard it's heavy when wet, but super warm.

The Kokatat Hydrus seems like a super good option also as a sub 500 suit with a US company that has great service. Might be a better long term option for some of us that have goo access to a good dealer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: