myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP fin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBaySwell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: WindSUP fin? Reply with quote

What's the fin of choice out there for windSUP? Powerbox, USbox...what gets you upwind yet still turns on a wave? I'm primarily thinking about the non-centerboard crossovers.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 8-10 x 32 Starboard w/ 5 fin boxes and a mast plug.
The center box is a US box, the rest are small side bite boxes. For Paddling, a quad or thruster setup works the best (for me), but for sailing, just the center box with a 9" wave fin alone works the best, the side bites toe in and slow the board down when sailing.
If that helps.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: SUP FIN Reply with quote

most versatile I've found is the biggest weed fin you can find as it has enough chord for a big sail and tracks well for paddling, I'm using an old one on a 9'10 Allwave and it works great - the little 5" fins are great @ low tide, but don't plane up as fast
zenzen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a few us box fins i use for sailing my sups.
The bigger the board the longer and my smallest is a 7.5 inch wave/weed fin for an 8.11 board and it is barely enough, but it is better in the waves than my 9 inch wave weed.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Exocet 11'8" windsup.

My preferred fin for wind-powered waveriding is a 32 cm "NoSpin" from Maui Ultra Fins. Usually used with a 6.8 wavesail. Planes earlier, goes faster, and actually turns tighter with that fin than with a 25 cm wardog weed-wave fin.

Other tuning that works well for waves: Mast base all the way back, front footstraps all the way forward, back footstrap all the way back.

My experience is mostly in small (2-3') waves, though, so things could be different in bigger surf.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much different james. i've become used to a 38 cm kona surf fin for most of my light wind and 8 foot and smaller waves. when the wind is side shore to side off, and the waves are really big, i use a free ride 32. still looking for the perfect fin though....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ittiandro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 11.6" Bic WindSUP. I have already replaced the original Dolphin fin with a longer weed fin ( 32 cm I believe). It improved subplaning considerably I wonder if it is worthwhile to put a larger fin, like a Kona 38 cm or similar, to get more lift, especially in light winds ( 12-15 knts), with a HSM UL 8.0 sail .

I'd like to get the most out the board, without necessarily planing, (the Bic WindSup is mostly a subplaning board, not the best for planing, but I am O.K.). I am also aware to be cautious with larger fins on a Bic WindsuP , because of the risk of ripping the fin box if too much stress is applied. I think though that with low speed and light winds perhaps the risk is not great.

Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks for the feed- back

Ittiandro
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Kona come 38cm in a USBox for your BIC ?
That large a fin spells too large for being too large for the USBox .

At some point diminished return on longer, because of increased DRAG.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think on this board , with my experience on a smaller BIC, that the tri fin set up is more desirable than the longest single, YMMV, it is down to personal preference on feel.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Does the Kona come 38cm in a USBox for your BIC ?
That large a fin spells too large for being too large for the USBox .

At some point diminished return on longer, because of increased DRAG.

Yes, it is a U.S. Box. Would perhaps a regular of fin of the same length (32 )cm) but less swept back provide more lift? There is an interesting fin , called Fre Delta Re made for shallow waters, which seems to have a considerablly larger area than regular fins, but unfortunately it goes on Power Boxes or Tuttles only. ( https://www.surfertoday.com/windsurfing/10950-the-windsurfing-fin-for-shallow-waters )

Also, I'd like to understand better what could cause ripping off the finbox : the normal hydrodynamic stress on the fin or hitting the fin on the bottom ( rocks) when sailing? I would undertstand the latter, but perhaps there is not that much of hydrodynamic stress, after all, to rip off the finbox when you do light winds subplaning... I could be wrong..

Thanks

Ittiandro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: