myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
look for advice on Shacks, Puerto Rico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmitriL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Zirtaeb! About challenges: I grew up as a lake sailor in Europe and my active windsurfing days were mainly spent on olympic cources in 80s. It had some challenges too: old triangle canvas sail (one size for all winds), long board, 25-30 kt wind, no harness...We recently moved to the US and unlike you I still need a visa to get to some countries including Mexico. So I will focus on homework and PR. By the way, I never been to Hawaii, so it will be the next step I hope. What was an ordinary life for you is still a Mecca or another planet for me!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if DmitriL ever made it to PuertoRico?
We went back in Dec '12 to early Jan '13, brought some gear, planed maybe 7 days, two at LasMarias and 5 on the E side of the island, 7 Seas.
We're going again this Dec, this time hopefully bringing a ExocetRS-5 and 100 liter all round board, possibly 6.2 sails, for the lighter than we know winds.
Maybe going to Humacao area, SE side of the island, as the winds there seem better than Fajardo, and some side on wave sailing to be had. I'm upgrading from 88 liters to 102, so I can slog sail, and the RS-5 should be all the lightwind planing we would need, in addition to the slug Hypersonic122 we brought last year.
Ambitious, we might look for Shacks, Rincon, or Crashboat. But we're based out of Fajardo in the E side, and it's hard to leave wind to find wind, especially without an air conditioner.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading to PuertoRico in 3 weeks.
Might be bringing a Futura111 and WarpSl71, or maybe something more versatile.
Got sails 5.9 down to 5.0.
Staying in SanJuan and Fajardo.
If you're there, hopefully we can meet and sail.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here for 2 weeks, got 8 days so far in 5.5 and 102 liter planning conditions in LasMarias, Luhillo, and 7 Seas, but we haven't been exploring at all.
Everyone seems to think the SE shore might be the windiest, but they all live on the N shore and don't drive the 2 hours needed to get there.
Haven't driven to Aquadilla yet, so no surf sailing, just flat water inside and outside the reefs on the Atlantic side.
Not bad so far, hope it stays a while.
Domond Lee
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back to the Bay 3 weeks ago.
Finally drove down to Aquadilla area. Lots of swell action, some big shorepound, not exactly easy wave sailing conditions. No, I never found the Shacks, Crashboat sites, as everything was 7' (that's mast high to you) and lots of closeout shorepound the day we drove there. Do have g/f's aunt living right there. Seems NW shore is bigger swell sizing than SanJuan area, and much more solid breaking, like Waddell at 7' on a NW swell.
Did drive the area between IslaVerde and the next town E, and that shows much better possibilities. E of Horse's, there are several outside rock reefs breaking solidly outside of sandy sideshore wind beaches, which invite launching similar to LogCabins on the NorthShore of Oahu. Saw it at around 5', which is not big enough for the reefs to work solidly. A couple feet bigger would be about ideal. I'd think that is the area that gave PR it's name of "Hawaii of the Caribbean".
Hopefully next year, I'll get to hit the SE shore more closely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: