myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foster city considers 3rd ave site improvements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salty-skin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Foster city considers 3rd ave site improvements Reply with quote

Foster City is considering hiring a consulting firm to study and plan for site improvements at 3rd avenue. They are looking at adding synthetic turf to two rigging areas, permanent ADA accessible restrooms, and a rinse station. Part of that plan will be to gather site feedback from users. They plan to consider this contract this upcoming Monday evening.

I hope to attend to share my feedback on their current planned schedule of development. I'll be thanking them for their dedication to our small community. In tight economic times it's quite a luxury to have park upgrades and it would be pretty awesome to be rigging on turf instead of the old carpeting.

I have some concerns with their schedule however. Their current proposed schedule has the construction slated to start in April, and finish in August. As we learned this summer at Coyote we would strongly prefer that the work be started in September, and finished in February.

Also, since the consultants would start planning soon, when they visit 3rd during our low season they'd miss out on talking with the parks biggest users and advocates, and miss seeing the congestion and use cases.

The meeting is November 18th, and I'm hoping others might be interested in attending to support the council's dedication to our community, and consider the impact of the schedule of construction on you with them.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news especially when it seems like we are constantly fighting to keep access going at a lot of spots.

I haven't sailed there in a while but I recall the entry and exit points into the water being less than ideal. When we were exploring some possible improvements to the launch at TI (thanks for nothing US Navy); there was an interesting proposal for what is called an articulated concrete block mat. It is basically concrete pavers with cable running through them to form a mat that is laid over the embankment. I think it is a fairly cheap thing to do and would improve the launch immensely.
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city council meeting on Monday, Nov 18th. is not to consider site improvements at 3rd Ave. The improvements and overall design have already been planned and approved. The agenda item is to approve funds to hire an engineering consulting firm to design the drainage and ADA restroom facilities to meet the requirements of BCDC and the Army Corp of Engineers — and one other agency that I can’t recall at this moment. This engineering beyond the scope of City engineers.

The site improvement project has been in the making for about 2 years and the windsurf and kiteboard community has been involved since day one. The construction schedule has been discussed with the City — windsurfers and kiters have vigorously expressed timing concerns. The City is trying to be sensitive to our needs but this project is tied to two other park projects and will proceed in the published timeframe and within the constraints of the BCDC requirements.

Here's a link to the agenda item.

geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clarifying the current status on the 3rd Ave project, Mo.

Definitely some improvements to look forward to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: