myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Odds board delams after flying with vent in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RicoBasuras

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I need more things to do while more kites get on the water and waves go unridden.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes 20 seconds to pull the plug and put it in your Chinook base. I'd do it.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:
I use Chinook two bolt base plates with removable universal joints. At the end of ever session I take out the vent plug and put it into the baseplate hole that is intended for the universal (threaded side up). Once the plate pins are closed the bolt cannot fall out or be lost. And until you remove the vent plug, to put it in the board, it is impossible to mount the universal to the baseplate, because the plug will be in the way. Therefore you cannot go sailing until you deal with the vent plug.

This makes it all but impossible to ever forget to tighten the vent plug before a sailing session.

Try it and you will never have a heat or pressure delam concern again and you will never take on water again, unless it is from some other failure than forgetting to tighten the vent.

This is what I do as well. In addition, I buy the Chinook plugs that require a straight edge to tighten and loosen as opposed to the phillips type of driver. I put a couple of dimes in my board bag (in the pocket for the luggage tag) and a couple in the pocket on the back of my harness. I use the dimes as a screwdriver and I always have a means to insert and remove the plug within easy reach.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not a good idea, if it's not obvious now, you are ok.

Cabins pressurized to around 8,000 feet, so air inside would expand a bit.
Offset that with a cold storage area, so air inside would contract a bit.

Ran a board thru a CT scanner once to find a bubble and extent of delam
Worked pretty good!
martyrosse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I like the thinking outcast. I also researched and found the pressure same as 8,000 ft. Also found one other person who left vent in on flight and no delam later.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty-I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Continue your good dreams about your epic sessions on the AWT this season.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You looked good out there at the Aloha, Marty.
Great tip airwaves. Thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flown over 7 epoxy sandwich divinicell boards to Oahu, always conveniently forgot the valves, and not one delamed. But, most were under 100 liters, and lower volume boards tend to stay together with internal pressure changes.
150 liters and above, I'd worry.
HyperTechs, Priesters, Berky's.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can mention via my airline employment, when loading, dogs & cats in the underbelly cargo

we had specific compartments for them, depending on the size plane, there are at least 2 cargo/baggage holds, how they were different , supposedly heated .

I remove my plugs most always but from 6500 feet above sea level , my house , to Hatteras OR Maine OR California, Hood River, zero or less, its part of the packing ritual

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
damel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note: I have found loosening the vent plugs is not always enough. Last year I stopped to sail at Sherman on my way to Tahoe for the weekend. Luckily I had my board in my car and half way up to Tahoe I turned the radio off and could hear a hissing noise of air escaping from the vent. I pulled over and took the vent plug all of the way out and there was a decent rush of air that came out. Probably not enough to damage a board but enough to persuade me to take my vent plugs all the way out when flying or traveling to high altitude rather than just loosen them.

In my opinion one flight from SF to Hawaii is more than enough to permanently damage a board if the vent plug isn't taken out. I also think its important for Bay Area sailors to take out there vent plugs because the large variations in temperature, pressure and elevation we experience day to day and when driving with our gear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: