myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfer, hit by kite, dies.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Windsurfer, hit by kite, dies. Reply with quote

Happened yesterday at Almanarre à Hyères in France. Details are still incomplete but a kitesurfer, who apparently didn't stop after the collision, hit a windsurfer, seemingly after a jump. The windsurfer died two hours after being rescued. See the report at http://www.windmag.com/actu-bad-news-percute-kite-almanarre-windsurfeur-decede (in French) and follow ongoing discussion at http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showthread.php/70567-Windsurfer-hit-by-kite-dies

Terrible accident. The details are probably less important than the awful reminder of the danger that a collision with a kite can pose.
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a very rough translation of the article.
Mike Godsey

The accident took place Friday afternoon off Almanarre in Hyeres . The doctors were unable to save the windsurfer struck by a kitesurfer. The windsurfer died after two hours of resuscitation.

Sad skies late Saturday afternoon over the Almanarre beach. Windsurfers and kitesurfers have folded their equipment and made the bay strong east wind that rose on the area for several hours. Ideal conditions for sports enthusiasts of sailing on this spot , one of the most famous in France .

But a tragedy had just happened , a tragedy that some had worried about for several months. A collision occurred around 1600 hours between kitesurfer and windsurfer. In a few seconds , faster than the wind, the windsurfer ended up in the sea, shaken by the shock.

The kitesurfer sped away.

Not far away, a friend of the victim, also on a board, rushed to help him and keep his head out of the water.

But it is also a kite surfer who made the alert on the beach.

Young used the almanarre , then applies a brace and hurried to rescue the two riders in the middle of the bay.

The rest of the story is, unfortunately , almost banal . Arrival of prehospital and fire on the beach , not far from Robinson. It was then that began long minutes of resuscitation.

Away from the neighborhood regulars are concerned , discuss the difficult joint use of the area between windsurfers and kitesurfers , on days of good wind.

But for Bandolais , windsurfing for over thirty years , the fun turned to tragedy. Despite the long rescue efforts , the rider , retired since only six months ago, died.

A close friend of the victim, waiting patiently for the verdict of doctors Smur , not far from the emergency vehicle , "For me , there is no solution. Apart from the ban, as in Six- Fours. My friend knew the sea came here because of the east wind . He never took unnecessary risks . "

shocked

At the beach , Pascal Boulanger , one of the co-directors with Eric and Peter Thieme Tremouille School of windsurfing Almanarre does not want to point the finger kiteboarding " What shocks me the most is that the guy is gone , just like that , without the help véliplanchiste.Ça , it really offends me , I do not understand. Athletes do not react like that. "

So the debate is just beginning : should there be more stringent rules or ban the sport, also means freedom and fun for those who practice it ? Or issue a permit kitesurfing ?

After doubts, pain and issues , it is now to make ... the right answers !

22852285.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.54 KB
 Viewed:  19618 Time(s)

22852285.jpg

geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is heart-breaking. And the guy had just retired, looking forward to so many good days.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it heartbreaking, it is criminal. The kiter took off according to witnesses. Maybe if he'd stuck around this would just be an accident.

Kite groups and windsurfing groups should get together and negotiate a rules of the road. They should include no boosting within 100 feet, no snap jibes in front of other sailors on the inside, stay downwind of surfers and windsurfers, remain at the scene of an accident until given the go ahead by the other party.

If we don't do it, the state legislatures will, and God only knows what they might come up with. Some local kite groups have done a good job of posting rules, but just like Maui, some fool has to go and kite into the kiddie pool, or drop his line into a sail.

Bless this mans family, and let's hope this will help others sail safe along the way.
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was a translation error or misreported. He stayed and talked to the police and was let go, determined an accident.

More info here:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2382192
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is true according to his own statement, is that he left the scene because he didn't think the "blow was that hard".

The police are still investigating.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
What is true according to his own statement, is that he left the scene because he didn't think the "blow was that hard".

The police are still investigating.

Well that's what he gets for thinking, after the fact as opposed to before the fact, then maybe this would have never happened.
kirk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: How did the Collision happen? Reply with quote

When I drive, I try to keep two car lengths between me and the car in front of me for safety.

I HATE windsurfing near kites as I don't know what they will do and it takes too much work to try and stay far enough away to be safe. It is a big reason I seldom windsurf at Third Ave or Sherman Island any more while I really enjoy Palo Alto and Coyote Point...

When I windsurf, I try to keep a mast or two apart from other windsurfers and at least a kite line away from any kiters in the event they lose control, they won't hit me with their kite lines... but it scares the crap out of me that they can move quickly and cover so much ground with the dangerous lines...

The trouble I see with mixing kiters and windsurfers is how do you keep a safe distance? It is not a NASCAR race where crashes at 200 MPH and frequent bumps are an expected part of the sport.

I guess I'm saying I'd rather rely on keeping a safe distance from others than rely on them being experts at handling their gear AND not have an accident.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible stay upwind of a kite boarder, if a kite boarder is overpowered or under powered they are going downwind and if something breaks or goes wrong they will be ripping down wind.

There are some "Cowboys" and "Cowgirls" out there for sure.
kirk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Safe Distance. Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
If possible stay upwind of a kite boarder, if a kite boarder is overpowered or under powered they are going downwind and if something breaks or goes wrong they will be ripping down wind.

There are some "Cowboys" and "Cowgirls" out there for sure.

True, but the ones that get a middle finger from me are those who are good enough to sail at Coyote then pinch up on us windsurfers who are trying to pass upwind of them. Maybe they think they are being funny or friendly, trying to get close to say hi....

Some of these "cowboys" seem out to try and get their sport banned. Maybe they need better education that windsurfers lose power and can come off a plane if they pinch up on us which makes a crash even more likely if they are trying to pass us from downwind while pinching up on us.

I have no problems with those who keep a safe distance, don't do tricks in the low wind area near shore where we slog in and out to the wind line, etc... but a few could ruin it for the rest.

http://kirklindstrom.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: