myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jericoacoara? October trip to Brazil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmdoug

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Jericoacoara? October trip to Brazil? Reply with quote

Hi-
I've not been windsurfing in 10 years, or so. But I've got an opportunity to to to Brazil in mid October for 9 days. I hear that Jericoacoara is a very cool town, and as a bonus it is a windsurfing mecca.

My question: I fly into Salvador, Brazil. It is a bit of a pain/time consuming to get up to Jeri for just a 3 to 5 day stay, when I could perhaps be seeing a lot of other very cool spots closer to Salvador. Any opinions on Jeri if it is worth the effort/focus? I've heard very good things about Jeri, so I'm leaning towards going. If I don't go to Jeri I won't be trying to windsurf anywhere else. So that is not the issue. I'm just trying to maximize overall time/money/effort.

Thanks,
Doug
STIM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to Jeri from Salvador will take a 2hr flight plus a 4hr drive. If windsurfing is not a priority you can go to Trancoso, Itacare, Morro de Sao Paulo, Barra Grande - these four places are much closer to Salvador than Jeri . They are nice little towns/villages (like Jeri) in very beautiful beaches (nicer than Jeri). If you want to windsurf, Sao Miguel do Gostoso might be a better options as it will be much easier to get to (the village is not as nice as Jeri, but the place is beautiful and much less crowded for windsurfing).
schmdoug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STIM:
Thanks, looks like great advice from the pics and Google Maps.
I'd heard of Morro de Sao Paulo and Itacare from folks on some other sites.
Last night I bought a ticket from SSA > FOR, but it is only one way and only for ~$95US, so no big loss if I don't use it. Actually, from what I read getting to Jeri is 7 hours on the cheapest bus (~$50), $275 one way via private Land Rover. So it sounds pretty rough and time consuming. And if the places you mention are just as beautiful and cool to hang out it, that might sway me.
Itacare, BG (assuming it is near Camamu), and MDSP are all pretty close to each other, it appears.

To get to SMDG looks like the best way is to fly to Natal, no? Anything else good to do right near there? Or should I just head back to SSA and the 3 places you mentioned south of there?

Thanks.
STIM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMDG is a 2hr drive from Natal (maybe less). It is an ok village (Jeri is nicer) but the beach and the windsurfing are great. There are a few windsurf shops so if you want to windsurf, SUP or kite it is a very good place. There is a beach 5km from SMDG called Tourinhos that is really nice. BUT if you rule windsurfing out, go to Itacare and MDSP - beaches are more beautiful in this part of Bahia.
schmdoug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STIM: If I go to SMDG I might be able to do it/windsurf and Itacare and MDSP. To facilitate, I might buy a flight right out of SSA to Natal - on the day I arrive to save time. I figure I can check out SSA later, on my way to/fro Itacare and MDSP.

Also, looking in the Lonely Planet they show some pretty high prices for some spots. i.e. SMDG has only two places listed:

Pousada Casa de Taipa single/double R$120/150
Pousada do Pontieros single/double R$200/250

Is there cheaper stuff available there? Itacare and Grande Barre show considerably cheaper options. What is your guess as to what I'll
have to pay for basic accommodation and for a day of windsurfing?

Thanks again.
STIM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that there are cheaper options in SMDG. You can check the two windsurf shops there (clubekauliseadi.com and drwind.com.br) - they might be able to help you with accomodation. Are you planning on staying there for 1 day only? In my opinion it is too short of a stay to justify the trip (keep in mind that the wind, althought likely, is not garanteed)...
schmdoug

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STIM: 1 day? Dunno. But yeah, I'm beginning to think it's not worth the hassle. I now live 3- 4 hours from the North Carolina coast, so if I really wanted to do some windsurfing, I'd have just gone there, wouldn't I? No need to travel all around Brazil and maybe get skunked when I've only got a bit over a week.

So, I'll probably just hit the places you mention south of Salvador. I've got
an old Brazilian friend I just recently contacted, and he heartily agreed with your reccos.

Thanks for your time & thoughts.
Best,
Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: