myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
1990 Barcardi Breezer Speedcheck Results San Luis Reservoir
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawhit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: 1990 Barcardi Breezer Speedcheck Results San Luis Reservoir Reply with quote

1990 Barcardi Breezer Speedcheck Results San Luis Reservoir. Where you there ?

1990 Speedcheck Results San Luis_Page_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.78 KB
 Viewed:  18950 Time(s)

1990 Speedcheck Results San Luis_Page_1.jpg

1990 Speedcheck Results San Luis_Page_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  556.92 KB

1990 Speedcheck Results San Luis_Page_2.jpg

1990 Speedcheck Results San Luis_Page_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  513.58 KB

1990 Speedcheck Results San Luis_Page_3.jpg

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip! I remember it well. Those were awesome days for being a part of windsurfing.
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cool. Thank you for posting this.

I wasn't there, but I was aware of the event. Tom Cherry was my idol at the time (he placed #13 in the results here)...one of the kings of the Seal Beach-Long Beach-Cabrillo Beach scene.

Team Bruce Jones in fact did quite well with Tom Cherry, Bruce himself, and the Pritchard boys all placing high.
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting esp. because the speeds don't seem that high by modern standards. How was the course configured?
csorens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this on the Lake istelf or the O'Neill Forebay?
fearlu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Winner's scoring system was a little wacky back then. Efficiency, really? Who had the fastest run of the event? (That's right... it was... me!) I remember it well but I only came home with the team trophy (which I still have) due to Ken's method of calculating the "winner". Pardon the pun. This soon changed since we only really cared about new records and the fastest runs at each event. It wasn't long before this kid named Cory started showing up at these events on his kite skis! Great history and thanks for posting. (It was held on the forebay BTW!)
dawhit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was on O'Neill Forebay in the cove near shore over on the nice grassy state park side. You had an electronic device strapped to your harness, or body somewhere, and they had two posts sticking out of the water with electronic receiving devices on them. You had to sail pretty close to them in order get your time registered. One post was at the beginning of the course and one at the end. I guess it measured the time it took to travel a set distance between the two posts to calculate the speed ? I kind of remember at the early morning start that sailors were being staged near shore on the Medeiros side of the Forebay and sailors would leave every 30 seconds or so to sail across the lake and enter the course, lay down a high speed jibe on the flat water at the end of the course (or hit shore), and head back out for another run. I think after a short while it turned into a free for all and you could enter the course anytime you wanted. Some people made a lot of runs through the course, while others made less.

I agree with Fearlu, the whole point of this was who was the fastest. Congrats to you, old sailors never slow down, they just get faster

I have the full class results by age, team, gender, etc, also but did not post those pages. I can if people want to see them.
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fearlu and dawhit:

What sails/boards were you guys using back then? In 1990 I was still uphauling my 5.9 Neil Pryde RAF on a 12 foot (Ken Winner!) longboard.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawhit wrote:
This was on O'Neill Forebay in the cove near shore over on the nice grassy state park side. You had an electronic device strapped to your harness, or body somewhere, and they had two posts sticking out of the water with electronic receiving devices on them. You had to sail pretty close to them in order get your time registered. One post was at the beginning of the course and one at the end. I guess it measured the time it took to travel a set distance between the two posts to calculate the speed ? I kind of remember at the early morning start that sailors were being staged near shore on the Medeiros side of the Forebay and sailors would leave every 30 seconds or so to sail across the lake and enter the course, lay down a high speed jibe on the flat water at the end of the course (or hit shore), and head back out for another run. I think after a short while it turned into a free for all and you could enter the course anytime you wanted. Some people made a lot of runs through the course, while others made less.

I agree with Fearlu, the whole point of this was who was the fastest. Congrats to you, old sailors never slow down, they just get faster

I have the full class results by age, team, gender, etc, also but did not post those pages. I can if people want to see them.

The grassy side is Catfish Flats I think. I don't recall any receiving devices strapped to anybody. I remember radar guns but might be thinking of previous years which would be the reason from looking at this list, that I don't see Fred Haywood on it. I do remember sailing behind Brad Duffy on the Catfish Flats (flat side)heading back to the Mederios side and out of nowhere is 4-6 feet in the air. I'm talking FLAT 6-8 inch chop. Couldn't believe it. Anyway, fun times!

dawhit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the previous years the California Boardsailor or West Coast Windsurfing Speedcheck events used the rader gun. At one of the races I kind of remember all the entrants receiving a small dayglow color gear bag with Speedcheck on it, and a coffee mug, provided by mag editor Clay Fleeter and staff I believe.

I had a narrow but thick Bruce Jones fiberglass speed board and a Windwing Race sail, but the Bruce Jones Team riders, had these fast white custom made lightweight epoxy boards that were really sweet, might of even had a couple on actual speed needle boards. I think Alpha also had a production speed needle board back then, whatttt ?

If you go to stableroad.com you can probably see a bit of sailing from back then

http://www.stableroad.com/videos/bsy3speed.htm
http://www.stableroad.com/videos/speedcheck.htm

mug2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  18675 Time(s)

mug2.jpg

mug.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Viewed:  18675 Time(s)

mug.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: