myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Northeast - Wetsuit for September - October?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Northeast - Wetsuit for September - October? Reply with quote

It's a little chilly today with the clouds out. If there were waves and I was surfing, the water is still warm enough to not need one, but standing on a windsurfer in the breeze is starting to get a little cooler.

What do you New Englanders wear this time of the year (if anything)? I'm thinking about maybe getting a long sleeve 2 or 3mm top.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a part-time / past New Englander, I go between a 2mm spring suit for cool summer sessions and a 4/3 full suit for chilly fall days. If I get a bit warm, I just take a dip, pulling the neck band a bit to let some water flow through. If I could only have one for Sep/Oct, I'd keep my 4/3 full. Will be interesting to see others' views.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For September/October here in NJ I use a 3/2 full suit which keeps me very comfortable. Once November rolls in, I have a hooded rash guard that I'll wear under the 3/2 to get a little more use but once air temps get into the 40's I'll switch to my 5/3. You could get the top for early to mid September but you'll want the full suit as the air temps drop further.

Rob
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My body tends to run cooler than average, so I dress a bit warmer than most windsurfers. In September I generally use my 3/2 convertible suit until water gets below 65 degrees, which can get me through most/all of the month (Buzzards Bay/Cape Cod) most years. Then I switch to 5/4 taped and glued full suit until it's drysuit time. Drysuit when air plus water temp is under 120, which tends to happen around late October around Cape Cod or Buzzards Bay.

Here's general guide to water temps.
http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html
Any year can differ from the tables though. And a lot depends on where you're sailing. For instance, north side of Cape Cod gets much colder faster than south side.

Here's a real time satellite view of surface water temps for Cape Cod/Boston, which only works where it's clear skies.
http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_data/?nothumbs=0&product=sst&region=capecod

Last edited by shreddbob on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
gschuel1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never go in the ocean without rubber in case I have a long swim if something breaks. My rubber selection is primarily based on air temperature.

70 and above = 3/2 shorty & rash guard
60s - 3/2 full & rash guard
50s - 4/3 full & lycra dive skin
49 and below - hooded 5/3 full & lycra dive skin
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston, Rather than get the top, which is what I did 30 years ago when I started windsurfing, get a 3/2 shorty. It is much more comfy. I still have that top but never use it. Check out Ocean Stae Job Lot. Last time I was in there they had shortys for $ 29.00.

My other suit is an O'Neil Mutant 5/4 which comes with a hood that zips on or a crew neck that keeps most water out. When it's not that cold I use the O'Neil without the crew neck so a quick dip will cool me off.

I sail in Long Island sound from mid April to early December with just the two suits.
outcast

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trunks, and a 3/2 short sleeve in September, and into a 4/3 by mid to late October
Depends on how much of a session you want. One hour or less, NBD.
Get a good suit. If you only get one, get a 4/3. The new good suits are almost waterproof, and super stretchy. Expect to spend $300! You can get cheaper.....but.........Occasionally Whiskymilitia will throw some viral marketing suits up there for like $150, but they go in a day

I actually have 2 4/3's so I can get the double sesh

Nothing can deplete a session quicker than getting cold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: