myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Contact lenses and the Columbia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used individual private clinic eye doctors and Walmart eye doctors for both exams and eyeglasses. The differences I encountered were:
1. I get more thorough eye health exams from Walmart.
2. Walmart gives me free, no-excuse-required do-overs my private docs don't. I hated my no-line bifocals from both sources, but only Walmart refunded my money.
3. The private docs' exams and glasses cost many hundreds of dollars more than Walmart for the same lens and frames.

Now, about those polarized lenses ... you'd probably know it if you had this problem, but of the MANY WSers I've asked about it, roughly 10%, myself included, cannot sail with polarized lenses because they do what they are designed to do: hide the water's surface ... the very thing we sail on. I can see fish, or the bottom if the water's clear enough, but the chop and swell just go away for me with polarized lenses. Worse yet, polarization + rough water presents my eyes with two different glare patterns, sending me reeling. I can see much better WSing with no glasses than with polarization.

Just something to be aware of; polarization is not a panacea.
underwood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Contacts Reply with quote

crashpile wrote:
I have a strong correction (I can't see much of anything) and prescription polarized glasses are hard to find. I am considering the daily disposable contacts and cheaper non-prescription sunglasses, but would prefer not to have anything in my eyes. I will call the eye doctor and see what he says.

Lasik surgery was the best money I ever spent!!!!! Truly a new found freedom!
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to using prescription sunglasses for sailing, they work of course, but I like the wrap around feature of non-prescription safety glasses to protect my eyes from spray. My prescription glasses cost in the neighborhood of $350, the safety glasses cost around $35.....which would you rather lose in the river?

I also see much better with contacts than with prescription glasses. I can see the entire field of vision, not just the area within the frame.

Lasik surgery might be a good option, but no one is cutting on my eyes. Maybe yours, but the worst case risk is not worth the gain for me.

KMF
dclopez

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Blowing Dirt and Dust Reply with quote

The biggest problem I've found is blowing dust, dirt, or sand on beach or parking lot ... just remember to shield your eyes when the dust starts blowing around ... very painful dust in eyes with contacts ...
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed with hard lenses for many years - only lost a couple when swimming and never when sailing. I was so comfortable, I didn't even own glasses for most of the time.

The only pain (really!) was sand, pollen, etc. and having to handle them.

However, I can only say I regret not having LASEK/PRK done sooner (surface photorefractive keratotomy - the kind without cutting cornea flaps). As a windsurfer/wave sailor I'd say it's absolutely worth both the money and minor inconvenience!

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Contact Lenses Reply with quote

Go for daily contacts and you wont be upset if one gets washed out in a big crash. Bring an extra in case you lose one. Otherwise contacts are fantastic and better than glasses.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless, as with me, they feel like broken glass or coarse silica.
nada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear the extended disposable lenses (30 days between changes) an have no issues, but have noticed that if I am sailing a lot (like every day in July) they don't last as long as they normally do.

Otherwise, I find that they can slip a bit after that first or second dunk, but once they get seated on my eye they work well.

As far as glasses go, I wear SeaSpecs and they are a good solution - polarized, good coverage, tighten to your head with built in retainer, fit under a helmet, and float if they hey knocked off. A few years ago I lost a few lenses when high winds dried out my eye and they popped out when blinking or crashing, but the glasses have eliminated that issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: