myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What the heck is OES thinking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever is doing the marketing over there is either drinking their own potion (read:on drugs), or on drugs. Look at the graphics on those boards, not sure which is worse, the names they gave them or the hideous high-schoolesque technique they're working with.

I love my OES, rainbow flames down one side. Classic, and as it happens (shameless plug) it is FOR SALE HERE!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my cleaned-up letter to to peter.ross66@bigpond.com :

Meth and other illicit drugs are helping to destroy our nation, but you're glorifying them by marketing flashy products named after them. What the hell are you thinking? I hope you don't sell ONE board in 2014.

Michael Fick
Kennewick, Washington, USA
dhanson928

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't buy their boards. Pretty lame names, so the boards have to be crap also. If they can't even come up with decent names, why would you think their shapes and rockers and construction choices would be any better?
We can only comment with our Pla$tic....Stop buying them and they'll either go broke or figure out that calling boards after *classy* drugs like crank is costing them sales.

There are so many other Eastern-built production boards on the market, most all decent sailing when new...just give these guys the finger and move on...
dangerd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys have a PTA meeting to go to?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should go back to the Starboard naming models like the
"Free Sex" , or the Bic naiming conventions, like the Rock & Roll, if they did
all three, then you know what you'd have. ;*)

-Craig.
yargerd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't name my boards after drugs. Not what I would do.

OES = Ocean Eyre Sailboards

I have a 75 liter X-Wave. I don't think this is a reference to ecstasy. I also have a quad. Maybe that means your supposed to take four (yes four) kinds of drugs ALL AT ONE TIME. I think that it is highly unlikely that the name of a surfboard is going to worsen the drug problem around here. Typically, meth junkies don't windsurf, and windsurfing is a tiny, tiny sport with little or no exposure to the world that doesn't windurf. Pete was probably trying to suggest that the boards are like some kind of out-of-body experience. I can say that I like my 75 liter X-wave more than any other board.

I'm not too worried about it. But, if I ever try meth (not going to happen) it will probably be because I read it on a windsurf board. Just like all that free sex (doesn't exist) or wizardy (wizard) or screaming (screamer) or... Oh, come to think of it, I had a brief period of Wiccan ritual after seeing a F2 Wizard at the event site being ridden by Mom and the kids.

Here's what makes OES boards totally awesome (maybe not as awesome as a shot of jankem, oh wait, that could be a board name). They are hand-crafted and not made in an overseas mega-plant by slave labor. The attention to detail is tremendous. The construction is wonderful. They have a board to fit every style and body size. The boards are super light. Their manufacturing procedure allows for much finer and more rapid design changes.

Y'all ever seen that kite with the androgynous rabbit smoking weed? What about all these so-called musical talents? Jack Johnson, The Counting Crows, DMB, Phish, the list goes on. Ever go to one of these concerts. Every-single-time there is a contingent of zeros wacked out on a medley of crap. I went to a Jack Johnson concert ONCE. The dude was so stoned, he couldn't figure out how to get out of his trailer... seriously. The concert started an hour late. Burning man? Movies that make drug use look totally awesome? Hell, I went to an opera once and observed a bunch of cleft-a$$hole types on coke.

Again, I'm not so sure that Pete is ruining the world.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete may not be ruining the world, but I sure won't be purchasing any board with a name like "Smack", or LSD any time soon. Or even look at one. Pete must be trying to impress a different client than those who I sail with.

KMF
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a storm in a tea cup as the www.oesaustralia.com website only shows boards with names like x-wave, wave pro quad, hot rod quad, freestyle wave quad, etc. No ice, meth, LSD to be found.
yargerd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to add, I don't see the drug reference at all...

A LSD is a type of naval ship that can launch an assault craft.

Meth is the abbreviation for a Methodist.

Ice is one of the phases of water and is pretty common when it's cold outside.

So, imagine this for a second. A Methodist, piloting a naval craft with assault capability, over a body of water laden with floating ice. To me, this sounds like the ideal board for Rooster rock in the winter. Not sure what y'all are smokin'.

Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yargerd wrote:
A LSD is a type of naval ship that can launch an assault craft.

Meth is the abbreviation for a Methodist.

Uhhh ... that's LST ... Landing Ship Tank.

I was raised a Methodist, and have never heard the term "meth".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: