myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OR Coast recs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: OR Coast recs? Reply with quote

Hoping to check out the OR coast. I'm an SC regular, any suggestions? Pistol River, Bandon, Lincoln City? Who's got the best waves? I may only have a day or two at most.

TIA...
xander.arch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this post by trudyl when I was doing research on ther same...... Trudy's summary is great.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25140&highlight=oregon+coast
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful! Thanks!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed
On our way to the Gorge a few weeks ago, me and a buddy stopped at Pistol . When we left, we were asking ourselves why we were even going to the Gorge. My next trip is back to Pistol, its a special special place.
D-wo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in the Gorge I spent a lot of time driving to Pistol. It can be quite good - typically side-on to side shore sailing- with plenty of jumping and enough waves for everyone. Cape Sebastian (2 miles north) has side-off conditions, but gustier conditions, and it needs a ground swell to work.

Florence can also be quite good. Florence has a break like Doheny, but with much more consistent surf, and pumping side-shore winds.

I wouldn't waste my time on Lincoln City or Manzanita. Oceanside can be quite good, but it is hard to catch. Go to Pistol, it's really one of my favorite places on the planet. Florence sometimes happens when Pistol shuts down, it also blows very late, so you have time to get there.

Be sure to have small stuff and a warm wetsuit. Say hi to Jerry, Brian, Greg and Victor. They are a nice crew as long as you don't kite (not my prejudice, theirs.).

boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-wo wrote:
When I lived in the Gorge I spent a lot of time driving to Pistol. It can be quite good - typically side-on to side shore sailing- with plenty of jumping and enough waves for everyone. Cape Sebastian (2 miles north) has side-off conditions, but gustier conditions, and it needs a ground swell to work.

Florence can also be quite good. Florence has a break like Doheny, but with much more consistent surf, and pumping side-shore winds.

I wouldn't waste my time on Lincoln City or Manzanita. Oceanside can be quite good, but it is hard to catch. Go to Pistol, it's really one of my favorite places on the planet. Florence sometimes happens when Pistol shuts down, it also blows very late, so you have time to get there.

Be sure to have small stuff and a warm wetsuit. Say hi to Jerry, Brian, Greg and Victor. They are a nice crew as long as you don't kite (not my prejudice, theirs.).

D-wo..is one of the guys listed above an older chap with a big white beard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: