myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swellripper,

I did not want to swim out to the wind (80L) so I launched by the big sewer pipe 'bout 40 yards downwind. Tough getting in and out with my gear on top of my head. When I came in some guy told me no one launches from there. I did consider taking off from the riprap just on the other side of the ramp and wondered if others use that access instead of the ramp.
tomg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert: I think you mean the popes Upwind of the ramp?

I go in there all the time. And out as well, especially when the wind dies or the water is at the top of the tide range. It is very slippery of course and there are rocks hiding just under the surface. Gear gets banged up for sure but it save time and is not so bad if someone happens to be on shore to lend a hand.

As far as carrying your gear on your head: for entry the trick is to gently stick the board in front of the sail and push it out into the water with the sail. Then slither in after it like a [water [of course]] snake.

On the way out, decouple the rig, carefully climb out with board, set it down and then quickly slither (don't jump!) back in after your rig, which will make a bee line for Berkeley in the time you were away. Carefully drag the rig up over the rocks by "flying" the rig above the rocks. Get through the wave zone fast!

tomg
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pt Isabel on Friday...just about the best today out on our private speedway...you don't even have to look before you jibe.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Natural Bridges the last three days. All were great. Today was too...if you got there early enough.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Hi windward1,

Nice meeting you at the beach and thanks for the de-seaweed assist on my gear after my initial launch fail. My buddy just waded through that stuff and took off. I thought I might do the same, only I forgot he's over a 1/2 foot taller than me, my bad.

Anyway, despite having arrived late, once we navigated out of the immediate inside, still plenty of wind out there for us. Soon into the session though my buddy somehow lost his fin near the yellow buoy and had to hobble the 1/2 mile or so back to shore.

I continued to enjoy a nice session making skateboard bowl jibes on the outside ocean swells, doing the screaming reaches along the kelp bed, making some turns on the descending waves leading towards the beach, before hitting nice flat water carving jibes to head out again. Nobody left on the water at that point, so did not try to enter the more breaking wave zone inside of the kelp bed. By then the wind was getting pretty light on the inside.

Anyway, it's a nice spot. Ocean and wavesailing can be so relaxing compared to SF Bay. The chop/chaotic water at 3rd Ave the last few days has been pretty bad during the flood and is hard on the body and psyche. Nothing like that easy flying feeling that Natural Bridges' wind and water provides. I need to get a weed fin or a quad for there though! Cheers!

windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Hi SwellRipper,

You are welcome.

Sorry John broke his fin. Hope he did not buy one that was badly re-done like someone posted a video of while sailing off of Embassy Suites in this Forum.

Your description of sailing Natural Bridges was a good one and highlights the fun that can be had there.

I did not know it was easier than sailing 3rd, but then again, I have never sailed 3rd.

Windward1
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: New Brighton Reply with quote

Sailed New Brighton today. Well actually I launched and landed there. Most of the sailing was there to Capitola and including Capitola. Sailed my 10'-10" Angulo SUP with my newly repaired Ezzy 7.0 (Thanks Joe.)

Caught a couple of south swell waves, but mostly it was flat. Fun sailing that board though, as it glides so well and does reach decent speeds even in light winds.

Light winds do not mean I am not sailing. Cool
koogzah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunt Point. 5.2. 84l. Alone. Wind line was WAY out there. Cold, grey, lonely and... awesome.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere. A couple of days off does this old hound good.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: New Brighton State Beach Reply with quote

Launched at New Brighton State Beach and landed there 3-1/2 hours later. After launching I tacked out and was among a pod of dolphins. Once three porpoised up side by side by side about thirty feet of my port bow.

Was on my Angulo 10'-10" with a 7.0 Ezzy Cheetah. Wind was 4 to 9 knots.

Sailed up to The Playground and tried to catch a bit of the south swell. Only got some small ones so tacked up past the surfers and past the yacht anchorage. A fishing boat came in and moored as I was leaving the anchorage.

Tacked up to Privates and that was where it was most fun. The wind was slightly stronger there and with a few pumps I was riding the south swells. Glide in on the swell making some not so sharp turns, then jibe and go back out for another. One swell was overhead and broke and I had a great ride on it. Spent the most time at this break.

After a bit the wind seemed to be dying so tacked up to Pleasure Point. Unfortunately the wind was even lighter and I was only able to catch one swell there at Third Peak.

Tacked up to outside of Sewers. Good swells, but not enough wind. Started sailing downwind to get back to New Brighton before it died completely.

The wind did a little bit of a rebound as I passed Privates so I got a few more swell rides in there. The wave shape was easy to catch and the speed of the swell perfect.

Sailed on back. Tried to get something at Bombora, but failed. Lotsa kelp at that spot now.

Made it back and sailed with the pod of dolphins still in the same area (or back again) before I went in.

Very pleasurable afternoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 10 of 329

Jump to: