myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lawnmowers Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond1 wrote:
Learning to cope with them and exploit their tendencies is, I think, a more effective option.

Absolutely. That covers all bases .. unless it's simply too crowded, like the time I stole second base ... from third ... because I hadn't noticed the runner ahead of me had pulled up at third. Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2

Surely Mr Bond has skied a virgin powder field, and one that has been
violated by traversers. Both are fun, but like a clean breaking swell,
it seems a wasteful shame.

Those traversers have just as much a right to that powder field as
we do, but you can traverse darned near anywhere.

I never "expect" anyone to give me a courtesy wave, that sounds like
a recipe for a T-Bone, but I often hope for a party wave. ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Bond1 wrote:
]The point is, I guess, that part of being a good wave turner is creating situations where you can turn, rather than expecting everyone to give it to you.

Very true, but why can’t lawn mowers understand that their fun is readily available on flat water, whereas good swell and waves are unique?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Sweet spots and power. Reply with quote

Even the best swell riders (especially windsurfers) become underpowered or completely depowered (in the sail) on a fat deep swell. This (safety) is ultimately the best reason I can think of for lawnmowers to back off all swell riders. We are often totally at the mercy of the swell's force and sweet spot location to keep surfing OR change course!

The other reason is aesthetic but relates to ethics (it's criminal to waste beautiful fat swell).

ATTN LAWN MOWERS:
LOOK UPWIND!
BACK OFF ALL SWELL RIDERS!

ATTN SWELL SURFERS:
MAKE A SOME NOISE (whistle, "yoo-hoo") SO THE MOWERS WILL HEAR YOU COMING!
NEVER WASTE FAT SWELL!
Twisted Evil

Last edited by biffmalibu on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sweet spots and power. Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
(safety) is ultimately the best reason I can think of for lawnmowers or "moles" (hilarious!)

I apparently wasn't clear. The Whack-a-moles I was referring to are useful bumps in the terrain ... any swell or chop big enough to bank a carved or aerial turn off of. Other sailors complain if we use them for that purpose. Sad
Bond1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
+2

I'm not looking to be contentious, but I don't see that as a good analogy. A wave cleans up almost immediately. First tracks is first tracks. Totally different.

In swell riding it's the traverser him/herself that's the issue. Not the tracks left behind. They're gone in a heartbeat.

That said, I get the point that swell riders wish non-swell riders would give swell riders more freedom to do their thing. What struck me about this thread though, is that it's old news. This is something many of us learned to deal with over 20 years ago. Not by posting a plea on a forum, but by learning to sail in a manner that gets us turns despite these obstacles.

For those who are having trouble getting the waves, I made some suggestions. If they don't work for you and you'd rather complain here, have at it.

Of course I'm just another guy going blah blah blah. I get that. Everyone here knows how to sail. No one needs my advice.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailor who only goes BAF,, and can barely do that, needs to be able to turn to avoid collisions. It really comes down to courtesy on the water and the guy yesterday was intentionally dangerous.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.., just look out for the other guy and get out of his way if you can and hope for the best. It's a semi-risky game we play.

Simple Smile

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that powder field cleans up after the next snow storm also,
and at least for me, it's the ride through the powder, not the tracks I leave behind to look at, that gives me the grins, but your point about
a complaint here having any bearing on how people operate is plenty
valid, it's probably just whining, and I'm done doing so.

-Craig over and out

Bond1 wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
+2

I'm not looking to be contentious, but I don't see that as a good analogy. A wave cleans up almost immediately. First tracks is first tracks. Totally different.

In swell riding it's the traverser him/herself that's the issue. Not the tracks left behind. They're gone in a heartbeat.

That said, I get the point that swell riders wish non-swell riders would give swell riders more freedom to do their thing. What struck me about this thread though, is that it's old news. This is something many of us learned to deal with over 20 years ago. Not by posting a plea on a forum, but by learning to sail in a manner that gets us turns despite these obstacles.

For those who are having trouble getting the waves, I made some suggestions. If they don't work for you and you'd rather complain here, have at it.

Of course I'm just another guy going blah blah blah. I get that. Everyone here knows how to sail. No one needs my advice.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sweet spots and power. Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:

ATTN LAWN MOWERS:
LOOK UPWIND!
NEVER WASTE FAT SWELL!

yes, yes, yes!!

scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailors who mow the lawn really are only a problem at a couple of places that I am aware, the Hatch being the worst. Arlington/Roosey has so much terrain it is easy to get away from BAF'ers since they tend to do their BAF'ing right in line with the Roosey launch. I rarely see anyone BAFing at the Wall. Doug's you can just sail up to Doug's West or down to the basement and get away from the BAF'ers who sail in front of the launch. The corridor between the Event Site and Swell City is pretty packed and it is harder to get away from BAF'ers, but I usually manage to find unoccupied terrain by sailing up or down a ways. Yes the swell is juicy at Kodak but really it is not that different at say Cheaps which is only a couple of tacks up wind from the Hatch, or downwind from Swell City. Or go down to Well's Island. Finding virgin, un-BAF'ed, terrain is not that hard, IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: