myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advice on new (used) rig
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Advice on new (used) rig Reply with quote

Hi all, first time poster here Very Happy

I'm looking at some used gear on craigslist and was hoping I could get some pricing advice. I already own a (early 90s?) free-ride board (with centerboard) and need a mast and sail for it, and could also use a new boom. I found a guy selling a North sails (choice of 5.3 Voodoo, 5.3 Volcano, or Zeta 4.7), Hawaiian Pro Line Boom and Fiberspar QuickTip 3200 mast all for $350.

The gear looks to be in good (used) shape. Fair amount of wear on all.

I really just want to get back on the water, but I have no feel for equipment cost and am trying to get an idea of whether the price is reasonable or should be lowered.

For what it's worth, I'm a beginner with some experience; I can sail it and tack/jibe, have been working on planing and getting back into the straps. My mast and sail were lost a few years ago and I want to get back into windsurfing.

Thanks in advance!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sails are quite small. How much wind will you be sailing in?
How much do you weigh? You might need a bigger sail/ mast booms.

I have an old North Zeta 5.3 and like it for 15-25mph winds on a 85L wave board.I weigh 150.
Thurston

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it! Doing a little research confirmed what you said about the sail being too small... I'm about 180 and would typically be in 10-20 kts of wind.

I could really use some help figuring out the best way to pull a rig together. I have an old longboard, a Tyronsea 370. I don't know if I should keep looking for a rig to use on this board, or if I should just buck up and get a whole set up, something used but a little more modern. I'm athletic, have good balance and grew up sailing. I want to end up with something that I'll continue to learn on but won't quickly outgrow.

Thanks again!
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably have a lot of trouble fitting a new rig to that old board. Newer gear has non-proprietary fittings. Best to start over. Where do you live? Used WS gear pricing is very geographical.
Thurston

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern New England; Mass/Rhode Island/Connecticut
paccorti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how much you want to spend and what's important to you. I'm struggling a little to be perfectly honest.

It might be easiest to call a windsurfing shop and they can ship used stuff to you. They usually have rental/demo/consignment stuff for sale at a reduced price and they'll likely have the matching components that you need (proper mast size, boom etc). I'd look for a rig in the 7-8 sq meter range. You can hunt the internet to find the parts you need but it will take some research on your part.

As far as sail brands an Ezzy Freeride or Sailworks Retro might be a good place to start.

Speaking for myself I buy new gear but it won't come cheap (I keep my stuff for a while and take good care of it so that's why it works for me).

Peter
windswell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston - I sent you a PM about used sails and masts that you're welcome to come look at, try out. I'm in Westport MA, probably near you.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll save James the trouble of posting this. I have found this calculator useful as I have shopped for gear. I am in my second season windsurfing, and my conditions are very different from yours as I sail on an inland lake. That being said I have found the longboard, (Kona One) to be a very good fit for what I want out of windsurfing, which is cruising and progressing in skill level.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original question: is the gear worth the 350bucks

the sails are older, something like 75$ each should buy them, the boom and mast value is more determined by condition, than the sails , which are probably past their sell by dates.

if the sails don't work for your need then no $ is good, 2 the same size is not making sense at all.

most buyers/sellers on CL consider it a funfair so far as price

some of the others have addressed some other issues

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Thurston

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, and keep the suggestions coming if you have any more. Cool

Windswell I got your PM and thanks for the offer. I might take you up on taking a look if I do decide to stick with the board I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: