myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New boat carcass on Sherman launch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: New boat carcass on Sherman launch Reply with quote

We have been gifted a new beached sailboat at the Sherman island launch...super!

Does anyone know the story behind this one? I have heard rumors, but I guess I am more interested in the logistics of getting it removed (more efficiently than our last decaying piece of s...) The former decoration took YEARS to disappear, all the while, it was a dangerous playground for people swinging from the mast-not that it didn't look fun. Now that it is gone I can appreciate the level at which it proved to be a general eye-sore.

I am willing to donate my time and energy to the project. Any Ideas? Sac. County Parks? Hull registration information? Laws regarding owner responsibilities and salvage operations etc.

Regards,
summertime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from a guy who was there the whole weekend that the boat owner came close to the playpen Sat. night when it was 45mph wind and anchored, called the coast guard who just got him from his boat to land. The boat washed up to shore despite the anchor but was in good condition. I think he'll get it rescued and out of there because it's a nice boat still in good condition.
mustard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's a nice boat. I walked around the hull to check out the damage. This thing may still float, but there is no way to pull her off the beach at high tide. It may take a crane to remove her.

Thanks for the info

Regards,
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there when the boat came motoring down the river when the wind was blowing too hard for a sailboat. Next thing I know he is anchored at the playpen.

I was jibing in front of him until it got too windy. He was still there when I drove away for the night.

I have taken my 27ft sailboat to the Delta and got stuck in Pittsburg for 2 weeks straight until the wind got below 20 knots and I could slip back down the Carquinez strait and back to my berth in Oakland.

I was wondering why he did not tuck behind the 2 little islands or off to the windward shore where the wind was less strong. I don't think the captain was very experienced.

Is the boat still on the beach?
philodog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that original old boat. I think the statute of limitations is up so I can admit I scavenged every drawer, cabinet and piece of teak off of it, along with all the stainless rigging. It is beautiful old indestructible wood and even after being submerged in muck for six months it finished up gorgeous and graces many cabinets and other places in my home. The boat lives on!

Picture 027_1024x768.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.6 KB
 Viewed:  17103 Time(s)

Picture 027_1024x768.jpg

IMGP1675_576x768.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.84 KB
 Viewed:  17103 Time(s)

IMGP1675_576x768.jpg

spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the F@#$ did you get up the tip of the mast? Looks like it was an expensive boat. Probably wasn't insured so the owner just wrote it off as a total loss. Nice wood work.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every launch should have a derelict boat. There's one with a guy living on it at Marina Bay.
stilladdicted

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, was there

Young French couple, a small girl, and wife pregnant.

Winds were insane, he anchored up, was getting rocked.

Late night, rescue assist shows up, while there, the anchor line snapped. Oops. Got family to the other boat.

Next morning, seemed like the owner had some funding, was talking about getting a Crane to lift it out. Is it still there??

Mike
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone. Taken away on Friday.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: