myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Have windmills changed wind at Power Lines on Sherme Is?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnwind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Have windmills changed wind at Power Lines on Sherme Is? Reply with quote

I've sailed Shermine Is for over 20 years & am wondering if anyone else is seeing less wind at the Power Lines? I used to sail there almost daily, but for the past few years, the park at the end of the road has had higher winds more consistently. Maybe it's my imagination? ...but it used to higher at the Power Lines all but one or 2 days out of the year. I sat there yesterday in high winds & the windmills on the opposite shore look like a possible culprit? Ideas? Question
Skywalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that this is true last year. They have installed over fifty new windmills in that area. Was the wind good there yesterday in the 30 MPH winds?
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the search on this forum, this subject came up about 3'ish years ago with lots of responses.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMUD installed 55 new turbines on the strip of land closest to the river over the winter of 2011-2012. They had 8 there previously.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is weird. On Sunday morning I drove by the Power Lines and there was 1 car in the lot. The SIGN was filling up, and when I left , wind still 30, there was only 5 or 6 at Power Lines.
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely sail Powerlines. But I often sail markers 7/8 and 9/10. They are significantly down river from Powerlines. I feel I have noticed what may be affecting things. The "usual" River winds (past) have a W to SW flow. This flow would generate wind farther up river (Powerlines). But in the past couple of years the winds down river seem to very often have a more W direction and often, due to fronts, even in the summer, a bit of N. This of course would cause a problem at Powerlines. The W seems to happen at M11/12 as well. Not all of the time, but a lot.

One of the secondary affects is that out in front of the County Park, the W direction really messes with the ebb and causes a lot of cross chop conditions, making the sailing less than stellar. This is very evident when sailing in front and somewhat upwind of the park. Kiters have figured this out and spend more time on the S side of the channel down river around M11/12, because the W flow cleans up the cross chop over close to shore and makes some reasonably ok swell.

So, the windmills may also have an affect but I believe it is really a more regional (or global) shift in the wind patterns caused by the location of pressure systems.
scameron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Power lines Reply with quote

I sailed Powerlines last sunday for the first time this season. It was great! However, I do believe that the 51 additional windmills do cause a problem at PL. Ya gotta love the swell there!
damel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the windmills might have an effect on the wind further down the river last year until I got a really good day with solid west winds with just a touch of S in them. When there is any N or even too much S in the winds I think powerlines isn't as good as the access in general but the windmills might increase the amount of disturbance the wind gets when it isn't the perfect direction.

I think airwave has a good point too. This topic is always brought up early in the Delta's season then someone posts some pics of an epic day at powerlines later in the season when I think powerlines does better.

airwave wrote:
... The "usual" River winds (past) have a W to SW flow. This flow would generate wind farther up river (Powerlines). But in the past couple of years the winds down river seem to very often have a more W direction and often, due to fronts, even in the summer, a bit of N. This of course would cause a problem at Powerlines. The W seems to happen at M11/12 as well. Not all of the time, but a lot. ...

erogind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind was awesome at Powerlines on Sunday. Our team was sailing on 2.9 to 4.1s from the getgo of the dawn session. Finally, someone mercifully left the water after 3+ hours and we could take a little break. Then we were back out until almost 1 PM for the 2nd session. No one re-rigged anything. We had one 210 lb guy on a 3.7 and 89l board for the whole morning. 3.7 was excellent for me from bank to bank... for hours and hours... all morning. Plenty of room to ride the swells.

Everyone of us said it was our best Delta Day ever.

Regarding windmills changing conditions and Powerlines Vs Sign. I don't sail there enough to make an informed observation. Not enough data points in the sample set.

How many Porta Pottys blew over at The Sign?
Wind_Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday was epic. I'm almost 210 and was on a 3.7 and 80L from 6-8:30. Awesome

Here is a video I made from Sunday if you haven't checked it already
http://youtu.be/7GG8unVvp7c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: