myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bodega (yacht club) site access threat: trail project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Bodega (yacht club) site access threat: trail project Reply with quote

The page linked below announces a project update meeting for the Bodega Bay Bike and Pedestrian Trail, this coming Wednesday, June 5 at the Bodega Bay Fire Department:

http://parks.sonomacounty.ca.gov/About_Us/Project_Details/Bodega_Bay_Bike_Pedestrian_Trail.aspx

2005 Study document with proposed plans:

http://parks.sonoma-county.org/uploadedFiles/Parks/About_Us/Project_Details/bodega_bay_bicycle_pedestrian_trail_study_2005.pdf

Segment 5B of the proposed bikeway and trail system runs along Smith Brothers Road. If the current plan follows what was proposed in the 2005 study document linked from the above page (see Figure 13: Segment 5B), shoulder parking will no longer exist on Smith Brothers Road, and the tiny bit of beach adjacent to BHYC will no longer have useful windsurfing access.

I have written to the project managers noting that the 2005 study did not appear to take windsurfing, among a number of other uses of Smith Brothers Road shoulder parking, into consideration. I suggested that an alternative minimum-work approach that was suggested in the 2005 study: making no changes beyond adding signage, would be better.

Before seeing notice of this meeting, I had been unaware of the existence of the trail project. I do not know what awareness is among other Bodega sailors or area windsurfers and windsurfing advocacy, but these plans deserve some scrutiny and comment from interested parties.

There are a number of regular and sporadic users, including some who travel from Ukiah and Fort Bragg. This is a wonderful site for those of us who live in Sonoma County. It is safer than most other sites, fun to sail, convenient, beautiful and quiet, and has espresso, ice cream, and hot dogs just steps away across the road.
rpaillon

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: SFBA Reply with quote

This sounds like a good issue to get the San Francisco Boardsailing Association involved in. This is a little out of the Bay area but they should be able to help and they have financial resources. Their webpage seems to be in transition. I have some old email addresses that I have forwarded your letter to. I hope they will post a reply to our messages.

Rick
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did receive a prompt and cordial email reply from Ken Tam, planner at Sonoma County Regional Parks. He relates that the project is still seeking funding, still has environmental work in progress, and does not yet have even preliminary engineering / design work beyond what was laid out in the 2005 report.

It thus looks like the time horizon is not super urgent, but given that negotiation is said to be in progress with some nearby businesses on Hwy 1, it does look like a good time to engage and to have our use considered in the process.

Our use (and other uses of shoulder parking on Smith Bros. Rd.) were not even acknowledged in the 2005 report.

Experience and expertise from SFBA would be valuable here.
Windreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Ken on Monday and found him to be very receptive and interested in what the needs of the windsurfers are and how important this site is to those of us that use it. I think it is worth calling him and putting in your 2 cents. His # is on the link above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: