myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OBX -Rodanthe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zlipski

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: OBX -Rodanthe Reply with quote

I just booked the place in Rodanthe for the last week in June. This will be my first full season of windsurfing after the few sessions last year .What are the good spots ( I know of Canadian spot) in the area? Can I just use any accessible sound spot in Rodanthe? Thanks for the advise Razz
LESLIPP

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

access to Pamlico Sound is not as easy as one might think .. restrictions abound (private property, ecology,lack of public lunching sites). The few available sites are full with kiters.
Try the Salvo Day Use area (lots of kiters).
Best is to rent a house on the sound with other sailors .. there is plenty of those all over the sound.
btbill

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommend Hatteras Island Sail Shop (HISS). Though not as large a spot as in past years, it still remains active for visiting sound side windsurfers, plus if you need something the shop is right there!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zlipski-

That's a great time of year to be in Hatteras! Windy windy windy.... most every afternoon, SW.

Public and semi-public launches include: (from North to South)

Rodanthe Watersports/Campground
HISS
KOA Waterfront Center
Salvo Day Use Area
Any one of the 5 or 6 sand roads heading out to the sound between Salvo and Avon
Anywhere between Salvo and Avon if you want to bushwhack. Not recommended...
Canadian Hole
The Buxton Slick
Frisco Woods Campground
Izzy's
The Pole Road

You can expect an approximate $5 day use fee at the semi-public spots. Anywhere on Park Service land is free, although you need a 4WD permit if you want to drive down the sand roads to get to the water. Many many people park on the side of the highway and walk- it's not very far. Salvo Day Use and Canadian Hole have large parking lots and bathrooms and are free.

There's SO MUCH space here, it's hard to believe that anyone would feel crowded, even when the circus is in town.

There's more local info on the webpage listed below. Click on "Hatteras Windsurfing Guide" and please let me know if you have any other questions! Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
aedanna

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are staying in Rodanthe I would highly recommend Hatteras Island Sail Shop (HISS). It is right behind the Dairy Queen. Technically it is in Waves, but Rodanthe, Waves and Salvo are really all one big community.

Barton is the shop owner and his son Reider also works there. They are both really great guys.

I owe them both for getting me back into windsurfing. I was down there last Sept and was quite bummed that almost everyone was kitesurfing. I went to a couple kite shops and was told no one rents windsurfing equipment (not true). Walking into HISS was like a blast from the past, talking and hanging out there seemed quite natural. I rented some equipment from Barton got back out on the water. I've been trying to get down there as much as possible since then.

If you are nice and polite I'm sure he'll try to help you out.

He never said anything to me, but others have said he doesn't charge for access but would like you to shop at his store if you use the launch.

I actually haven't made it inside the other shops on Hatteras yet, so I can't compare, I'm sure those are great shops too.

I'll be way up in Corolla for the last week of June, it wasn't my choice and I got stuck with the location. Any chance you want to swap? Smile

I know this is iwindsurf.com but if you ever think about getting kiteboarding lessons consider getting them at HISS as he and Rieder come from a windsurfing background which I beleive is an advantage. In addition the prices for his lessons are less than either REAL or Kitty Hawk Kites. I've taken one private lesson and it was pretty cool. Don't worry since the lesson I have purchase more windsurfing gear so I have not yet turned to the dark side. Smile

Tony
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andys reply is very comprehensive on sites.

HISS is a possible, kiters. Salvo Days use, 1K out of town is great, lots of kiters, lots of beach.
the Hole, Transformers, ask local about Island Creek access

Frisco Woods campground.

you need a beach driving permit to access some of the roads, or carry your gear in, PITA.

The KOA in Waves has access sound side for a fee, 5?

TOP DOG restaurant in Waves ****

LOOK for a Coast Guard flight plan, available in Outer Beaches realty office, its shows pretty much all the sites , with better wind and levels of danger

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: