myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Port Tack Tomorrow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Port Tack Tomorrow Reply with quote

Tomorrow (Sunday) looks really unique in that it could bring good consistent non-storm South or SW Wind sailing to the coast. I'm dying to try port tack and since the swell isn't going to be huge I'm excited to mix it up in the wrong direction. I live in SF so OB seems like a logical choice, but I'm guessing there may be better spots. I'm happy to drive up to 2 hrs either north or south. Any advice will be fantastic.
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kited Pomponio on a South wind. I have windsurfed there back in the day when I used to do that. the place can get unruly when the waves are bigger, but when it's small(er) it is fine.

The launch is fine and it's fun but I would go with someone just to make it less stressful. When I have kited there by myself I have a hard time really going for it because there isn't anyone to pull you out of the water is something really bad happens..

I have also kited at the long beach just north of the Pescadero turn-off. Might be better for Windsurfing as it can be pretty gusty there.. At least it was when I went (only one time). That place has potential.

Other places further North but I don't think they have the potential of those places.

If someone's going to be at either of those places let me know. Maybe I'll drive up. Could be fun..

Thanks!
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Port Tack Tomorrow Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
I live in SF so OB seems like a logical choice...

Say one would want to try out OB on a port tack, where should he better launch?
(And park? And survive equipment failure?)

At the end of Lincoln? Sloat?
Elsewhere?
Thanks!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the surf was small enough at OB today that you could launch anywhere. I launched at Lawton, as did four other windsurfers, but there were also a few down at Lincoln. There were a lot of kiters doing downwinders from Sloat to VFW. 4.8/85 was perfect... some really fun rides and jumps out there. All smiles here.

I launch at Lincoln b/c it's convenient for me... just walk across the street. Sloat, you at have cliff, and you have to get your gear down it. Probably the most popular spot on a south wind would be at Lincoln.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for you Marin guys, Stinson, Tomales, and Limantour are good spots to sail, and Tomales at the mouth good on SSE winds and surf sailing.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walking back home at the end of the day

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
windward1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Pic Reply with quote

We all have our different loves..........'Smile'
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANY day windsurfing at OceanBeachSF is a better day than windsurfing most anywhere's.
OBSF has the most powerful waves for it's size of anywhere, some of the strongest currents, and naturally, the most changing winds.
Some years, you get less than 5 total S wind days at OBSF, as the swells are usually too big once the S winds starts, from the storm that's bringing the winds in.
NW days might number as many as 40, but some are real struggles that make you appreciate your skills and the power of mother nature.
This kind of ocean sailing is not the the weak of heart.
benpfree1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo Kevin!

Some of us sailed the South wind at the indicators area of Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz. You could reach back and forth from the cliff out towards the pier and back. Lots of chop and mixed windswell.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot kevin! Zirtaeb, I totally hear you about OB. I sailed there yesterday with a few others. It was a super small day and I was shocked at just how fast and powerful that wash can be even on a puny day. Even yesterday's small windswell would jack up occassionally and rear into something with meat. Although you could get some back side hits I wouldn't call yesterday wavesailing. Still it was super fun and definetly had its tactical challenges which I really enjoyed. Plus its such a cool setting. I can't wait to try OB again - though certainly not when its BIG! Its definitely a place to respect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: