myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Luis Reservoir
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: San Luis Reservoir Reply with quote

With what appears to be an early spring and not a lot of rain, any of you regulars have a feel for how the water level at San Luis will be by late May early June? Think it will require a weed fin by then?

Coachg
goinoff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's been a lame winter, I would thinks the weeds will be a factor by mid june...Always OK at the end of May. The level will probably depend on the farmers needs in the valley. Love going to the res and hardly anyone goes there anymore. There has already been a number of good days this year..Early season session never seem to be a problem with water level.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upper big lake is part of the Calif Aqueduct system. The water district can buy water from various sources to fill it up even in a drought year.
The forebay (the small lake where most people sail) is controlled by the dam on the big lake. The small lake level will fluctuate daily, even hourly depending on how they regulate it and demand. One time I parked close ( maybe 10ft) to the water on dry dirt and after a few hours sailing my back tires were IN the water.
You can get the lower lake level readings on a website. Ctuna has posted a link in the past if you search. I think ideal was 219 feet??? or above,, but I'm not sure since I haven't sailed there in years. Yup as said, weeds get to be a problem around July, but it also depends on the forebay level which fluctuates.
Worse than the weeds, there is a shallow submerged sandbar on the south side of the lake (about 50 feet from shore) that will catch a fin if the level is too low.
BTW, December was very rainy so they're not talking drought yet this year.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Looks overfilled today Reply with quote

03/12/2013 17:00 224.50
03/12/2013 18:00 224.50
03/12/2013 19:00 224.50

It looks like there is starting to be a spring pattern . The extended winters and lack of fog last year didn't prove a formula for to many good days.

The Sensor has been extremely unreliable as far a functioning goes.
I have been using the phone and http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ for alternate wind data when the sensor is down.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=ONF&d=12-Mar-2013+19:46&span=12hours

The weeds weren't that bad last year and they were gone early.
But it was a more wintery year late into the spring.

The last couple of years the water level has been pretty good.

Last planning day was in October there but it was a one off odd day.
squirtdad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone sailed san luis recently??? reports???
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: I tried it monday before last but Reply with quote

I tried it Monday before last but it was to North and full of Holes.
Flag was straight on shore on the South side. From 320 to 360 degrees its just to North .
The wind was way on and off I sailed off the South side so If things
went bad I would end up on the same side as my car. I rigged a 4.7 and a wave board I was powered one second and wobbling the next, and it was cold even in the middle of the day . There were some other old timers there in there RV's . Actually I have been having that experience every where I go in the last week and a half. Cold and Holy and to North in general.

The upper lake isn't that full but they have been keeping a pretty good
water level according to the website.
O they have replaced the Sensor with one that report every minute take
a look at the graph.
goinoff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I tried it monday before last but Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
I tried it Monday before last but it was to North and full of Holes.
Flag was straight on shore on the South side. From 320 to 360 degrees its just to North .
The wind was way on and off I sailed off the South side so If things
went bad I would end up on the same side as my car. I rigged a 4.7 and a wave board I was powered one second and wobbling the next, and it was cold even in the middle of the day . There were some other old timers there in there RV's . Actually I have been having that experience every where I go in the last week and a half. Cold and Holy and to North in general.

The upper lake isn't that full but they have been keeping a pretty good
water level according to the website.
O they have replaced the Sensor with one that report every minute take
a look at the graph.

I've found that the best location to sail on a north wind at the
forebay is located here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214417162287894273262.0004da9185e8c86218191&msa=0&ll=37.103213,-121.062384&spn=0.024233,0.025964

Not nearly as many holes in the wind as the normal launch site, but the
is tack is shorter...
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Not a good place to get downwinded from . Reply with quote

Not a good place to get downwinded from .
I'm thinking under the power tower on the south side in the
normaly calm boaters side might be better.
goinoff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Not a good place to get downwinded from . Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
Not a good place to get downwinded from

Not an issue, can swim to either side there without much effort..Sailed there many times when the normal area was completely crummy.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time San Luis sailor I predict this weekend will be epic. As soon as the southerly fog surge gets going on the coast watch out!
Don't forget your weed fin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: