myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Better Location for Candlestick Sensor??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Better Location for Candlestick Sensor?? Reply with quote

I noticed an unused wood pole near the water's edge at Candlestick Park today. The only item mounted on this pole right now is a no swimming warning sign sponsored by Naish. Shocked Just wondering if it's possible for iwindsurf to relocate the current sensor to the top of this pole as the current sensor is nowhere near the windsurfing site and obviously not reading correct wind speed, ~5 mph lower than actual.

2013 Candlestick 4-5 036.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1007.27 KB
 Viewed:  15199 Time(s)

2013 Candlestick 4-5 036.JPG

2013 Candlestick 4-5 030.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.97 MB
 Viewed:  15199 Time(s)

2013 Candlestick 4-5 030.JPG

bmmiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goodwind,

Anything's possible. But before we'd reconsider relocating the sensor, please answer these questions for us ... How tall in the pole? How sturdy is it? Who owns the park? (city, county, state, etc. We probably could figure that out easily enough, but perhaps you already know.) Do you know any personnel from the park that we could contact? Do you have other suggested locations? Have you noticed any nearshore nav aids while you're sailing at Candlestick?
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Better Location for Candlestick Sensor?? Reply with quote

Hei! that is me in my maiden voyage with the Hot Sail Firelight 6.0, Wind-SUPPING! Very Happy Very Happy Lovely day in almost no wind! (sorry for kidnapping the thread but I am not sure I need a sensor! Embarassed )

Last edited by dvCali on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
carl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bmmiller,
Candlestick is a state park. The state is only bare minimally maintaining the park and bathrooms because of state budget problems. I don't think there's any elect power in the park. A contact for the park?, that may be a problem (probably Sacramento). I haven't seen any rangers there other than the guy that occasionally cleans the bathroom.
There is no nearby nav aid.
The current sensor does read low, but can't that be just recalibrated?

PS, I think someone just put a Naish sticker on the sign. I"m sure the sign is there for liability reasons, because the rangers don't patrol the park anymore.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bmmiller,

Like Carl said, this is a state park, named Candlestick Point State Recreation Area. The roughly 30 ft and apparently solid pole is in the area officially called Windsurf Circle. A few years back, a park ranger asked me questions on beach and water access improvement. So, at one point, they seem to be interested in improving the site for us environmentally friendly water sport users. If the sensor doesn't cause them money, and there are already similar installations in other state parks such as Chrissy Field and Coyote Point, there is a reasonable chance they'll go for it. How about a wind sensor at Windsurf Circle? The park ranger's phone # is 415-671-0145 and they should know the proper channels for approval. The link for the park is

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/519/files/CandlestickPt.pdf

canvas 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  364.11 KB
 Viewed:  15107 Time(s)

canvas 1.png

bmmiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood,

Crissy Field (a.k.a. Anita Rock) is actually located on a nav aid called Anita Rock. Hence, it is not on State Park land. Coyote Point is actually a county park, but our sensor is technically located on a private portion of Coyote Point. So, working with the State Park system may be something new for us. However, we're open to considering anything! I'll pass this along to our sensor team.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course, that pole is on land and the wind there is typically a lot lighter than the actual conditions out in the water. The wind just off the rocks next to that pole is usually garbage wind... swirly and almost a dead zone. I don't see a whole lot of improvement in accuracy moving the sensor there. There is an old dilapidated pier a couple hundred yards upwind of the launch that juts out into the bay that would be a better location, presuming that it were secure.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Kevin. I think the wind near the "windsurfer circle launch" is probably less indicative of the conditions than the current setup. Usually there is a 30-50 meter wind shadow.

Additionally, we don't want to "upgrade" our meter to that crappy every-minute meter they've put in the other spots.
windmaddness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the current candlestick sensor is in a bad location. It's the nature of the wind at the stick that has a pretty wide range. Over the years we learned how to rig properly based on the gust readings and the water state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: