myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board for girlfriend?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
They teach beginners ... And you don't have to transport that big board, store it, or guard it ...

Or buy your GF a set of diamond earrings to smooth the chasm created by trying to teach her.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and, CSC has wetsuits, part of the program....
And of course, they've taught plenty of girls and guys in the 200 lbs range, although I must say, the girls who were 200 either quit (moved away for work), or got down to 140lbs. and continued windsurfing.
And of course, a rescue service for when they drift downwind.
Only problem is they don't open at minus tides, or when it's mud from the dock.
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For women's wetsuits I have found O'Neill mens short can fit women very nicely (must be tried on since they vary significantly from model to model). Also, nrsweb.com carries a wetsuit called Venus specifically for well curved women.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I think the club route is most likely.

As for myself, what might *I* want to be sailing on?

I'm presently on a ~110L custom board made in 1999. I'm 140lbs. I was just working on figuring my harness technique when the wind died in September. I've been told I probably want to progress to a shorter/wider board.

Again, the club route here is a possibility, both to get some proper training, and to try various stuff out, but can someone point me at likely boards I'd be wanting to get? Thanks.
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For somebody 140 lb any modern 60 to 70 cm wide freeride board /105-125 lt/ is good enough to carry 5.5 to 8.5 m sails. It usually starts like this and then if you live like me in less then perfect wind wise area you will want a bigger board for a light wind and a smaller one for stronger wind and lots of sails etc. etc. - there is just no end to this!
Don't get to serious though! Stay away from too specialized stuff like slalom or wave boards and cambered sails. I went this rout and I regret it. Take it easy and stay with the fun and less complicated stuff. All around mid size freeride or big FSW boards and no cam freeride sails with matching masts and booms are your best bet.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
For somebody 140 lb any modern 60 to 70 cm wide freeride board /105-125 lt/ is good enough to carry 5.5 to 8.5 m sails. It usually starts like this and then if you live like me in less then perfect wind wise area you will want a bigger board for a light wind and a smaller one for stronger wind and lots of sails etc. etc. - there is just no end to this!

Right. So I can see now a Mistral Explosion 2007 155L and 2010 Tabou rocket 115L close by, around the same ball park in price. Assuming both in good condition, which do you think?

I already have my 130L (Bic Veloce) beginners board, the 110L one I'm using right now, and an 80L wave board (which I got for free, and may never use), so I will get rid of at least one of these.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, who made the present 110 liter custom that you have right now, what kind of condition is it in? Also, I'm under the assumption that you live in the SF Bay area or relatively close, so the likelihood of using an 80 liter board is quite good. What is the brand name and year of the 80 liter, and what about its condition?
mrchocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Just curious, who made the present 110 liter custom that you have right now, what kind of condition is it in? Also, I'm under the assumption that you live in the SF Bay area or relatively close, so the likelihood of using an 80 liter board is quite good. What is the brand name and year of the 80 liter, and what about its condition?

I'm in Oakland/sail Berkeley. The 110L is a Forsyth designs, and is in great condition for its age (few dings from me). The other is actually a Tiga 75L wave board. Perhaps same age, but also in very good condition. Both of course narrower than the freerides etc I'm being pointed towards. The 130 is super beat up as you've expect from a beginners board, but still very usable.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tabou, without thinking twice...and get rid of all the 3 you own right now.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've said, I would think about selling the 130 liter Bic, especially if you plan on buying a higher liter board that could serve as a very light wind board. Forsyth is an acknowledged designer/builder that is known for making very competitive boards in the past. While your board is undoubtedly out of school with the latest design trends, that doesn't mean that it isn't worth keeping. I have a 1999 Mike's Lab that I bought new from Mike, and it is arguably still one of my favorite boards, and I even have much newer Mike's Labs to compare with.

The 75 liter Tiga maybe be old too, but it could still a good keeper as a high wind board, especially at a place like Sherman Island. I'm assuming that it is an epoxy board rather than one of the older polypropylene boards. I know someone who really likes the older Tiga epoxy boards, and he has a number of them in his quiver. The thing about older designs is that they are a bit longer and narrower, and that can be viewed as a plus, particularly for the less experienced sailor, since they more easily transition on and off a plane, and also cut through chop a bit easier. Also, I have to say that there are some sailors that still really like the old polypropylene Tigas because they were so comfortable in rough choppy conditions due to their increased weight and overall flex characteristics. Add to that the fact that they are virtually indestructible.

Lastly, I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell the Bic, unless you find that you aren't enjoying it much any more. If you've got the room, it's a good idea to hold on to it, particularly given the likelihood that you probably won't be able to sell it for much based on its condition. However, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a pack rat, and I've been known to take an old board out of storage and begin using it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: