myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
thruster boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poussin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey u2,
Funny you should mention your Witchcraft board. I've been wondering about
where to try one, but have a feeling that I can't find one to demo on the west coast.
Where did you get yours? And how does it compare to all the usual boards we can find in our area?
Also, where do you primarily sail-or should I ask, what in what kind of conditions do you use your tri-fin?

Thanks.

Greg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poussin wrote:
Hey u2,
Funny you should mention your Witchcraft board. I've been wondering about
where to try one, but have a feeling that I can't find one to demo on the west coast.
Where did you get yours? And how does it compare to all the usual boards we can find in our area?
Also, where do you primarily sail-or should I ask, what in what kind of conditions do you use your tri-fin?

Thanks.

Greg

Witchcraft does NOT have a dealer network in the USA. My non custom standard production board came from Slovenia, via Paris ,Chicago , delivered to Denver airport, clear customs and done. No import duty on windsurfboards, customs is said to charge a admin fee, they waived in my case, ..25..50$. they accept Paypal, and its was easy.

I sail in Rio Vista, Calif, Hood River and Hatteras, sound mostly.mine is a Series I Chakra.

I would say the production boards have more a custom feel, than Cobra models, fit and finish I mean. It is very strong even in standard form .

They now have 4 models. Price should be , depending on size around $1800-1900 delivered , for non Euro countries. The staff/owner is extremely helpful .

It was a large outlay for me, I did not consider them a unknown quantity

the UK forum of Boards magazine has a large following

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I consider thruster fins akin to slotted fins, in a good way, in that both add lateral traction but neither will make much if any difference unless we're spinning out AND have already optimized our technique. i.e., they help at the very edges of one's performance envelope, not so much in the middle. A turbo and Brembo brakes ain't gonna get Granny, or even the average younger driver, around Watkins Glen any quicker.

If the reason we're spinning out is extreme chop and gusts and/or extreme side loads in lesser but still rough conditions, superior technique will help in the long term, whereas slots or thrusters will help less-than-expert sailors NOW ... at the risk of becoming a crutch we get too dependent on. I love slots and thrusters, but need them them less as I and my equipment get better at managing rough water, too much wind, and too many g's.

Don't forget that neither slots nor thrusters are likely to make a poor shape sail really well, or that neither is likely to make a great board sail a lot better. i.e., thrusters and slots are essentially fine tuning, not a whole new chassis or engine. They won't push many boards across the line between silk purses and sow's ears under a rider with decent skills.

Last edited by isobars on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you tie a Cheetah to Granny's back she will be faster,

so you make the car go faster and break better and no improvement in time , cause its beyond Granny's capability

brilliant

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: