myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to find a used formula board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, thanks for adding something. I took my Formula rig out Friday. It's no longer for sale. Shipping boards from Maui to Boston must be expensive if you aren't carrying them as extra baggage. I don't read many of the posts put up in response to my messages, I know who to ignore and took a speed reading course in High School. Now, on the subject of Adjustable Outhauls, I think that's esoteria. I bought the Sailworks one and do use it. However, I don't find it makes a big difference. In fact, I'm not sure it makes any difference. Futhermore, $1,000. to get into a sport is expensive. When all you need are sneakers for footracing or basketball, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. Yesterday I was talking with a kiter about buying some of his equipment. He has a beginner kite for $400, up-to-date bar and lines for $350, and I already have a board which cost me $50. He said that one drawback to kiting was that it was expensive to get into.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Josh, thanks for adding something..

And you're so dense that you missed the dig, Brucie.

seedysailor wrote:
I know who to ignore and took a speed reading course in High School.

Another 100% illogical non sequitur from The Swift One. You know who to ignore, so you speed read the responses?

Anyway, you should have taken a speed thinking course in high school...... but, of course, that could never work with you.

seedysailor wrote:
When all you need are sneakers for footracing or basketball, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Here's a sports idea for you, Big Guy.

Take up skydiving.
jimichu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
In Dallas, TX where we have a fair number of good windy days, having a formula board increased my sailing days 28% in 2010. I keep all my stats from every outing, including GPS data (board, sail, wind, top speed, average speed, time on the water and distance).

That 28% represents 28 days on either a 9.2 or 11.0 and my formula board.

Elite or not, the formula guys in our area get the most sailing time.

I also live in Dallas, and I'm searching hard to find a set of formula gear
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimichu,

I recently moved to Raleigh, NC, with less wind than Dallas, so I figure the formula board will get even more use. Actually, my first outing was a week and a half ago with my formula and 11.0 in 10 to 15 winds. I planed the entire time and was pushing my limits in some of the gusts.

As for a used board, contact Mariner Sails, who hosts a twice/three times a year swap meet for used gear. It's a good place to check for used gear, or you can go to the NTWR web site

http://www.ntwr.org/phpBB2/index.php

and post a request to see if anyone is sitting on a board that you may want.

Good luck.
Hurl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like all you need is an old longboard, Fanatic cat or a Mistral equipe for more time on the water with the sails you already have.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Hurl. I just picked up an old F2 Strato in excellent condition for $150.00 with entire rig. For days where the wind gusts 5-15 or so nothing beats them. You won't plane as early as with FW, but longboards can be a lot of fun.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had longboards and raced them (not too often recently) for all of my 29 years of windsurfing. They are fun, but at some point, many of us prefer to plane with as much speed as possible in the 5-15 wind range rather than cruising on a LB.

No right or wrong here, just personal preference. My formula board board with an 11.0 can go just about twice as fast as the wind speed in 10-12 knots of wind. If the wind is 2-10, and if I go out, then I may choose the long board for some light wind freestyle. Actually, if it's 2-10, I am playing golf.

Whatever flips your switch is the right answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: