myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best carbon boom for wave sailing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prevett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Best carbon boom for wave sailing Reply with quote

I'm looking for opinions on what's the best carbon boom out there now for wavesailing conditions. For me, "best" means super strong and durable. Lightness is good, but not at the expense of strength and durability. I have been using a Chinook Carbon Big Wave boom 150-200 for a long time now. It has certainly taken a lickin and kept on tickin, but it's time for replacement.
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are satisfied with the last Chinook, then get the latest one. You will like it too. It has been redesigned and is better than the one you have now.

KMF
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best carbon boom for wave sailing Reply with quote

In my opinion the Mauisail is probably a tad better and about the same price.
The neilpryde boom is probably also great, but for the extra money, you won't get anything extra.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you buy, go with a monocoque design, as they are arguably the strongest and stiffest booms out there. If I was to offer an excellent choice, I would also recommend the Maui Sails brand. Its features are top flight, and the front end design is outstanding.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most monos are Aeron with assorted other companies labels, like Naish and Neal Pyde.
all good booms
the Mauisails monocoque is an Aeron with a much improved head they designed themselves.
prevett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for KMF: Is the latest comparable Chinook boom the "Pro 1 Carbon 150-200cm" ? It's not specifically described as a wave boom, so I wasn't sure.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEARCH the archives for many pages addressing the boom question. The search field Chinook boom Pro, plus checking the Search for All Items button, should narrow it down to a few dozen pages of thorough discussion.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Chinook Pro-1 Carbon is the boom that you would use for larger wave sails, or any small sail for that matter.

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/index.php?cPath=i1_82

If you look at their site you will notice that the larger booms have a different arm curve to accomodate larger sails.

For your information, Chinook has exceptional customer service, If you contact them they will regrip your old Chinook Carbon, and in the process tell you if the boom is still good or if it is time to replace it. You can save hundreds of dollars by having them check it out. If it is still in good shape, there is no need to spend $650 + dollars on a new one.

KMF
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook is the best outfit my store ever worked with.
We sail on their alum monos which are very nearly the same weight and stiffness as most carbons at one third the price.
windmaddness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui sails booms are just OK. At longer extensions (180cm+) the boom gets soft. Also the tail piece is tapered to the point it got sharp enough to make ding in the cranium while ducking crashes... And the holes of the tail piece are sharp enough to cut the hands around the thumbs (during ducking...)

Chinook are a lil too narrow to make any out haul adjustment without having the sail touching the boom, even the smaller sizes like 4.7.

HPL is probably the better choice, got none of the above issues... Maybe even stiffer and sturdy and cost about the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: