myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where's the best location in Florida for wave sailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gk3540 wrote:
If your wife's residency is medical, that would bring some more considerations into the picture.

When we move she is most probably looking for a position as a hospitalist, so need to be near a decent size hospital.
glenherman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Wavesailing in Florida Reply with quote

I am an Anesthesiologist and have been on these forums begging people to come here to the Boynton Inlet for world class wave sailing. Our wind season starts in September and runs until the end of May. Although you sometimes got good conditions in the summer with tropical storms, they are usually survival conditions and not much fun
Our usual equipment is a 100 liter board and a 6.2 meter sail. We also get a fair number of 5.3 days and the occasional 4.7 . Waves are usually any where from 3 to 5 feet with a lot of days that are 6 foot or bigger. You only need a shorty wet suit and in May when we get south winds, you sail in a bathing suit.
Job market for medical people is excellent. You did not say your specialty but we are crowded in the winter months with snowbirds from Canada and northern U.S. The summer still has a year round population of retirees. We use to be slow in the o.r. in summer, but that has changed and we are full all year long.
Please come to vacation here and see for yourself. I have plenty of spare eqiuiptment you could borrow. (there are no rentals anywhere)
There are only four of us who regularly sail this inlet. We would love some company!
kdolphin37

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I agree with gk3540 and glenhermen that Juno and boynton, are your best bet for wave's in Florida. I'm on the southwest side in estero. We get wave sailing at wigged pass and Venice. ( yesterday peak wind's 30, 6 ft. Wave's good day at Venice) but not as offer. We spend summer's in southern Cal.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orlando airport? Wink
amarie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Thanks amarie. What size boards and sails are the norm in the waves there? When are the windiest times of the year, and the waviest?

I actually have stats from every session I've ever sailed here. Keep in mind I'm a 120 lb sailor. I do ride a big sail for my size, but on a given wave or bump and jump days the guys will be one sail size higher and also higher in board size.

Our windiest times are spring, sometimes we get excellent summers, we get frontal driven wind in winter that is more sporadic but the best waves, and the fall is probably the least windy/wavy but it can still happen. Like anywhere you get better and worse years. My best years I've sailed 200+ days but life has kept me busier lately. The most beach like community is on N Padre Island and Port Aransas.

So here are my stats from 10 years of year round sailing. They don't add up to 100% due to demo days, borrowing, etc.

78-82L board: 85 %
65-67L board: 13 %

5.2 sail: 53%
4.7 sail: 23%
4.2 sail: 13%
3.7/3.2/2.5: 9%

Full wetsuit: 20%
Shorty: 15%
No wetsuit: 65%
gk3540

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again cape, average winds on the 7.0 are about 13-18 mph. My longboards are Exocet curve 11'5 and the new 11'8 windSUP. Jacksonville has excellent hospitalists at Baptist Medical Center where I work. But again, it's a little colder here than down below the Cape Canaveral, like the Cocoa/Satellite/Melbourne area and further down by glenherman in the Boynton area. Melbourne has a large regional medical center. The Melbourne/Indialantic area is pretty laid back. Sebastian Inlet, which you have probably heard of, is only about 20 minutes south of there. Vero Beach is the next town south and the medical center is smaller--Indian River Medical Center. The culture in all these places is very different than LA. We have a lot of LA transplants settling here in Jacksonville. This place is totally different than when I came here 20 years ago, in a much better way culturally, but still has a lot of growing to do. The University of Florida in Gainesville is 90 minutes SW of here.... Back to the wind,waves, and weather, we get plenty of action here, but on a smaller scale than central Calif, outer banks of NC etc. By May, the weather is hot and it stays that way until around Halloween.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

learned of horse latitudes from my USCG years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_latitudes

http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/weather/horse-latitudes.html

some years we get more wind than others.

brunswick had a phenomenal thermal when the okeefenokee swamp burned for over a year. jax gets lots of thermals well into summer rainy season. cape canaveral gets sea breezes that get iffy around mid to late july due to the daily rain cycle.

jupiter inlet to boynton gets more tropical trades and waves. a great place to retire? you bet. for now, i'm in brevard county. after retiring, i dunno.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind and swells tend to come from the East at Florida's latitude, characteristic of tropical tradewinds, so the East Coast of Florida is definitely superior to the Gulf Coast of Florida, where the ocean more often looks like a flat lake with offshore wind.

The East Central Coast and Northeast Coast of Florida have the best exposure to Atlantic Swells because they are well above the "swell shadow" of the Bahamas. (Check it out on Google Earth.) However, compared to Southeast Florida they are less in the tradewinds zone and more in the "horse latitudes," of light and variable winds, as Ingebritsen said.

The Boyton Beach - Jupiter area is generally agreed upon as the hot spot for wavesailing because it's just South enough to get (relatively) consistent wind, and it's just North enough to get most of the Atlantic Swells. Also, the turquoise blue water of the Gulf Stream begins to veer offshore North of Jupiter, so you don't have quite the same "Caribbean" look and feel when you're in Central or North Florida. The "treasure coast" North of Jupiter is kind of a transition zone where the water is sometimes turquoisey and sometimes not.

Flatwater sailing is better North than South of Jupiter, because there is a long, wide coastal lagoon called the "Indian River Lagoon" extending along most of the central coast.

An important concern that one poster mentioned is that South Florida is crowded, with many of the beaches having annoying parking and paying situations. The treasure coast is relatively undiscovered with more free and laid back beaches. When I lived in Fort Pierce on the treasure coast I considered it just about windsurfing paradise.

IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look into Wilmington NC and Charleston SC... not quite as tropical as FL, but pretty nice.
jkrug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spend winters in jupiter, and i rarely see any windsurfers because the wind just ain't there. occassionally i see a few SUPs with sails schlogging about. even for kiting, you need big kites/boards down here if you want to get on the water. sure, we can occassionally get a 20+ day...i think we've had 3 or 4 since mid-November...one of them occurred last week. it's not a windy place, but it is a nice place. OBX and Cape Cod on the east coast are far superior for wind...but the warmth is obviously not there year round. if i were still a windsurfer, FL wouldn't be on my radar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: