myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui windsurfing plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjbrooklyn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Maui windsurfing plus Reply with quote

Dear Fellow windsurfers:
We are planning to be in Maui in April. We are East -coast flatwater folks--the Outer Banks, Hecksher and Napague in NY and Bonaire in the Carribean. Where is a good palce for us to windsurf in Maui. Also, any recommendations on places to stay for a few days.

Thanks in advance.

WJBrooklyn
fox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the trades are blowing head to http://kanahabeach.com/ if you have #s on your sails head straight to http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/maui-beaches/ho-okipa-beach-park.html

This is a very nice private place to stay http://maliko.com/
jschmucker2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be some good wind in April. Kanaha is great but if you're looking for flat water, Kihei is the best, if you have a north wind. Some days it will be almost dead on the N. shore and absolutely cranking on the south side.

There is little park around S. kihei road around ohukai st. where you can rig and launch.

But there is no easier place to learn waves than Kanaha lower break so take advantage!
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kihei, [key-hay] can be very good, with side to side off winds. When it's real windy there's tight chop and and a bumpy ride though. If you are lucky and there is a south swell, the waves can be great on the south shore.

I loved Kanaha, even when there is big surf the launch is easy with no shore break. It's protected by a reef 1/2 mile or so off shore. The waves are smaller on the inside, waist high or so in some areas, with fairly flat conditions in other spots. Hope you get some wind while you're there!
wjbrooklyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Folks:

Thanks for the information--I think Kanaha sounds right for us. I also appreciate the tip on the house--unfortuantely they have a 5 day minimum.

Are there any equipment rental operations on the beach? Since we will be on the North Shore for just a few days I'd prefer not haveing to hump and rig,etc.

And Slinky from Old Saybrook--I've got a sister up there (we are Brooklyn people) so we visit occasionally and have enjoyed Ninegret Pond. Maybe we'll meet up there sometime in the summer.

Regards and thanks to all.

WJBrooklyn
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi WJ,

Don't think you'll find rentals on the beach, but there are several within a mile or so from Kanaha. You will find lots of good info here www.mauiwindsurfing.net

Hope the weather is good and have fun.

I still sail at Ninigret ance in a while. You can always pm me if you are up this way.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for Kanaha Kai Windsurfing. They are located just up the road (1/4 mile) from the sailing beaches at Kanaha and they have an equipment rental truck they drive to the beach. Not sure how it works but I'm sure you can make arrangements with them to bring gear to the beach for you especially if you have a group. Enjoy!

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: